You don't lack bass, you have too much treble

One of the biggest surprises in audio and acoustics is how damping a room with treatments makes small speakers sound so much bigger.  Yes, you get a broader, deeper soundstage but you also seem to get a lot more bass, more power, more extension!!

What's going on? 

What happened is your room was too bright.  The overall balance was too heavy on the mid and treble so as a result your systems balance was off.

For this reason I often suggest before A'goners start chasing bigger and bigger speakers, that  they think about the room first, add damping and diffusion and then go back to thinking about the bass.

Not saying you don't need a bigger speaker, but that some rooms may never have a big enough speaker in them due to the natural reflective properties.

erik_squires

@curiousjim ....and no amount of potted palms for disguise or camo.....

Forecast: Immediate loud, followed by tense quiet accompanied by 'dry' spell....

Been lucky, not much of that in my local whether....;)

"...pass the Denifrips...thanx,,,,now, some of that dacBS for..."

"Later tonight on Cooking with the 'Phile's........."

@curiousjim 

I would be taking a hard look at those two openings and pass through to the kitchen. Do a test by covering them with plywood, heavy blakets/curtains etc. And see if it changes things. Other open areas to rooms can wreck havoc on acoustics. Especially if openings are close to  listening position.

Without bass, you're in a lot of treble.

@mcroth

Yeah, I’d say 60% of the back wall, 15% of the front wall is open to something. At least 50% of the right wall and 30% of the left wall are open as well, so I definitely have several gotcha’s to deal with.
For now, I have a portable divider covered with a quilt covering over half of the biggest opening between the family room and the living room. When we save up some money, that pass through is going to be filled in,