Would you pay to audition speakers

A dealer told me that he will let people audition 1 pair of speakers for free. If you want to hear multiply speakers
he charges 500.00. If you buy a pair of speakers he will credit you back the 500.00. He says he does this so people don't waste his time. He says If someone is serious about purchasing speakers they won't have a problem with the 500.00 deposit. I'm Interested in knowing how the Audiogon community feels about this.
taters
I would pay $500 to audition a speaker in the 10-20K range, but that would be for an in home audition for at least a one week period.
On the whole, dealers are their own worst enemies. How many times has it been said on this forum, that putting together a system with all of its components contributing to their full potential, requires a lot more effort than just opening ones wallet. I've had enough dealings with audio retailers to think quite little of most of them. Come on guys, I'll bet we all heard some of the pretty crappy systems that resulted from people putting their faith and bank accounts in the hands of dealers who turned out to be little more than fast talking order takers. I'll bet there are many more music lovers than there are audio hobbyists, and if retailers would get their heads straight and were willing to do the kind of work necessary to establish trust and long term good will, they'd find that Audiogon and the used/discount market would have negligible impact on their business.
How can any dealer assume that because he didn't make a sale that someone is running to the internet to buy it online? I am sure it happens, but how does the dealer know that maybe that person decided to go to another dealer that was more pleasant and had a better attitude! There is no other industry where prospective buyers are treated this way! Most of the gear on Audiogon is used, so I don't see how Arbuckle's post appplies in this instance. If I was in that situation, I would write a letter to the equipment maker and let them know that I was very interested in their gear, but the dealer I went to wanted $500 from me to audition it. I wonder how that wouild go over! I have read a few posts where people want to establish a relation with a dealer and you can't get that from the internet. Who would want a relationship with a jerk like this? Many people just want to purchase something and a working relationship with a dealer is not part of their plan. It doesn't matter whether the $500 would be applied to the purchase, that is just bad business, and a lot of BS.
Is it even legal? Are there any lawyers here? If car dealer would charge me $500 to let me test drive a car and would not return the money if I decide I don't like it that would be illegal and I would report him. New car dealer doesn't have license to rent cars or perform similar service. I'm pretty sure audio dealer cannot force me to buy something I don't like by holding my money either. I would report it to authorities and reveal his name on the forum. Any lawyers here?
Another point to remember is that in sales the object is too make the sale and not everyone will pay full price.
So smart dealers do just that, Make deals. I have purchased some of my ARC gear new from a dealer who wanted to make a sale, even if not at list. I prefer to purchase cd players especially new with a warantee if the used to new spread is not that great.