Which 'Shipping carrier provides the best overall

Now there's a question that ought to get some action. as important as it is to have a good one , or two, given the very nature of this venue in particular. For with but one exception, every deal I've personally done via Audiogon has been with the use of some carrier... and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Is there truly a carrier out there that continually provides exemptlary service. Handles goods properly, facillitates providing informaiton quickly and accurately? ..or is it always a coin toss with shipping equipment, in terms of timeliness and handling?

Having gained some experience over the past few years, both here at audiogon, and in former businesses, I think it may well be just that, a coin toss.

My very first opportunity to transact business with another member was steeped in miscomunication and poor training on the part of several FED EX emplyees and took months to regain the difference in an overcharge.

Most recently FED EX again has shown to be lacking in attention to detail and training of it's individuals, as well as access to timely shipping info updates. Frustrating at the time, but now since all turned out well, a laughable, but most memorable event.

For those who have done this 'shipping' thing quite often, I ask what is yuoor assessment of carriers in general, and have you determined a prefferance?

I feel this is certainly an area in dire need of an assessment based upon some considerable experiences, both in shipping, and in claims.

Thanks a lot. This should be most benificial to all at Audiogon...
blindjim
Bigjoe-

My experience has been the opposite. UPS claims have been long, drawn out, niggling torture sessions. I am 1 for 3 with UPS though the independent store that shipped UPS in one case paid up and said they would settle with UPS so overall 2 for 3.

Fedex I am 2 for 2 with each claim paid in 2 weeks or less.

I have had UPS damage more goods that I have shipped and that have been shipped to me so I ship FedEx Ground almost exclusively for anything of size. Generally cheaper than UPS and arrives quicker.

I will give a plug for "Craters and Freighters" that got a pair of Silverline Sonatas with no boxes packed and shipped from Virgina to Nebraska unscathed.
FedEx Ground at Kinkos gets all my business' business (around 3 boxes a week) because they have a counter nearby. Same prices as the FedEx counter that recently closed. The Kinkos staff seem alot friendlier than the FedEx staff. Twice over three years they've lost a box in a 20-box shipment - simply vanished. Every now and then one gets smashed. Two got smashed this week, but it really is the exception. Both boxes were light too, only six pounds each. The customer says one was pierced. Regardless, they've paid every claim though all of them have been under $100. With claims, respect their procedures, give them exactly what they ask for and they'll come thru.

Ole reliable USPS always delivers but not always on time. One Prioriity mail package took 45 days and arrived in a crumpled ball inside a preprinted USPS apology bag. In another instance, a seller tried to parcel post me a box of old Stereophiles. Some were still in their 15 year old mailers. Sure enough, the box cracked open and the PO delivered the unopened ones back to the seller. The rest never reappeared.

I never use UPS because their only service around here is through those Mark Up, Etc. outlets.

So yeah, it's always a crap shoot. Fortunately the odds are mostly in your favor. Pack well and always ship on Mondays!

Any recommendation for packages over 150 lbs?

I haven't been able to find anyone beside UPS Freight to take them. Most carriers take only packages below 150 lbs. Above 150 lbs, they take only business shipments, not residential ones.

And UPS charges an arm and a leg for packages above 150 lbs, which is the case for most big amps in their crates. For example, a 145 lb package would cost me about $80 with insurance. The same package at 165 lbs would cost about $150 with insurance!
Justin time,FedEx does stuff over 150lbs FedEx ground! I shipped my Krell monoblocks to my home using them. Two days from Santa Fe.
Good stuff! Given the limited # of responses so far things are neck & neck... A couple thoughts further... Over 150lbs? Clearly, Global Bax, Yellow, in my neck of the woods "Gator" seem likely choices... matter of fact, I just opened an account with Global Bax. But the caveat there is they are entirely a 'heavy frieght" shipper.

There is also a provider for insurance due to loss for FED EX shippments, independant of FED EX. Some criteria must be met, and they only cover missing items. (TRANS GLOBAL INSURANCE 18002454852 (insurance for items sent via FED EX) Thee cost of insurance is $1, per hundred. Must be shipped via FED EX. No labeling of any kind other than FED EX shipping label. maybe if it's worth it, huh?

My most recent deal involved FED EX. A pair of speakers from Grand Rapids, Mi. to me in Fla...via ground. P/u fine. ..and delivered the next day! ...but to another address in Grand Rapids! Super ..from that day forward no info online... done. kaput!... gotta call for info... half the time the agents didn't know anymore than did I. although late Saturday eve I did get one that did know more... she said the items were now in toledo, oh. great! When are they to be delivered? I said. She goes, "Tomorrow.".. (Sunday?), and figuring she meant Monday, I added to what address? She says "to Grand Rapids Mi." ...you're not serious? Well there you go. Now that's service! Ultimately I did get a supervisor and she kept me informed afterwards including telling me of the morning of delivery, by callin me that they were now on the truck out for del. that last part was really good. Her calling me and all. Although when they arrived it was evident careful handling was not a priority. thank God for the superior containers and packing they were in. Although the paking had some rips on the cardboard outer covering... the plywood crates were entirely in tact... and upon unpacking, everything was in great shape... but always if any abberations, rips, water soaking, holes, or what have you, NOTE EVERYTHING IN THE 'EXCEPTIONS' to the driver. it's far easier to make a claim of undiscovered damage once those notes are on record... it's much harder later on.... also take a pic or two as the carton is biening opend... and if damage is found right off... call the carrier before completely unpakcing it... trust me here... it'll help...

My experiemce says "pack it well', and pray. ..and sometimes even still that seems to no avail... given forklifts,carelessness, or labels indicating handling proceedures... but the latter will help with a claim... provided it ain't ripped off during transit... Take pics - take pics of it packed. and the box open showing the packing... CYA.

as to time frames for shiping vai FED EX, it depends on the city (to and from) , not necessarily the distances. UPS keeps to the time regardless, maybe later, but no sooner. Fed Ex is maybe less than the five days ground... depends of the volume of business in the local areas... one last thing... there is a thing FED EX has called "Home Delivery"... sort of like ground but they come by on Saturdays too and it's abgout the same as ground... pricewise.

I was hoping to hear about another carrier to use with lighter stuff.... or simply a better shipper overall... but do continue to offer ANY thoughts as to shipping, claimns or toherwise as it pertains to this thread as we all need some further insights about this area so often necessary to this 'hobby'. Everything we want, ain't usually everywhere we live...
)