Which pair of speakers changed your Hifi life?

*** I am not trying to create a debate or a quarrel with anyone. My discussions are purely having a talks and to express one's experiences. Also to learn fellow audio lovers passion. Please do not disrespect with hurtful words or expressions. Please be more forgiving and understanding in this discussion thread. Thank you." ***

Hopefully one day, someone would say "Mon Acoustic speakers were the turning point in my Hifi life".  😃

My 2ch-audio journey began when my uncle bought his BOSE system at his home (don't even know the model or never really heard it) in early 90s. Bose was rear and expensive in Korea(South) back then. So I started my own system with Bose Cinematics 2.1. Then moved on to Goldenear Triton 3, then to Triton 1. But more utilizing the speakers for AV set ups, not 2 ch stereo.   

When I had my first house, I bought a pair of Revel M105 speakers and I think these are the pair that really changed my audio life. My initial paring with M105 was Yamaha receiver. Then I tried goofie set up with center speaker 3.1 to see if it improves vocal in the songs I liked. We went through many combinations of system set up. I ended up with Chord Electronics set up. 

I still own them. Always struggle time to time, whether to sell them or not due to the number of pairs I own(out of a guilt). I cannot argue how many pairs of shoes my wife owns.  I pair them with NAD M10 (version 1) for my bedroom since my wife likes the warm and well rounded sound, and 80% its white design aspect. 

So what are the speakers that have impacted your life? 

128x128monacousticusa

Quad ESL 57! I got my first pair in the late 80s and foolishly sold them in the 90s. Bought my second pair in the early 2000s and sold them about 7 years ago. Again, this was a mistake (I will never learn). For all the things the old Quad do wrong, like play real loud and that really narrow listening window, the midrange is just perfect and unforgettable once heard. I am about to acquire my third pair of the ESLs and this pair I will never sell. I have learned my lesson, finally. 

Post removed 

The Quad 57s! Bought my first pair in the late 80s. I remember the dealer, who was also a personal friend, told me that, even if I wanted to try a different speaker, to never sell the Quads. I didn't listen and sold them in the mid-90s. Bought my second pair the early 2000 and kept them for about 10 years. For me, the big problem with the Quads was the very narrow listening window - Quads are not a social speaker - and I like listening to music with friends. However, the Covid pandemic has put an end to group listening, at least for the foreseeable future. So, I will be purchasing my 3rd pair of the 57s and this time I will heed that early advice and never sell them.  

For me, it’s Usher. I heard a demo of the BE-718 years ago and was mightily impressed. I bought a pair, and have since gone upward in their line. From Mini One Diamond to Mini Two Diamond.

I am yet another who joyfully lived with Quad 57s for 10 years in the ‘90s.

And sold them to get dynamics, bass and treble. I had also taken off the screens and was tired of the look. And always missed them.

Now, when an Electrostatic Solutions rebuilt pair came up for sale, I snatched them up. There is no question that they are far from perfect. And that their presentation is very unique and different. I have great dynamic speakers from which I have moved.

And yesterday, I heard a friend’s fantastic dynamic speaker based system.

That system is among the best aI have heard. But my former speakers, my friend’s, and all dynamic speakers I have heard, present the music “at you”. The 57s pull you in. Because the midrange is so “right”, there is more of an emotional connection. Granted, they take getting used to. But when you do, they are addictive. And it has been said correctly, that with the right music, there is nothing better.