What's more important speakers or amplification?

What would be a better alternative for $3200:

1. Use existing Sony STR-DA777 ES amp (5 x 120 watts)and invest $3200 in new speakers (Fronts, Center, rears, and Sub)

2. Spend $1600 for 5 channel amp and use Sony as Pre and the remaining $1600 on speakers (Fronts, Center, rears, and Sub)

What brands should be considered?
mules
Is the Sony really awful as an amp, or is it okay?? I don't have any advice on particular speaker brands for home theater use, but I think you'd notice a $3200 speaker upgrade much more than a new amp & $1600 speaker upgrade...assuming that the Sony amp is average.
BOTH.
But I do agree that you will get more from just the speakers than trying to do everything for the $3200.....unless your willing to do the amp and the mains now, and gradually add on when finances allow.
Brands considered ?
Vandersteen, Paradigm, and Magnepan. Unfortunately if your electronics aren't up to par these speakers will tell you.
Chances are a better source will do the trick.More bang for your buck.
Sales people disagree because the most margin is in Speaker sales.40/50% VS 25% on average on components.
agreed. speakers aren't worth it if the amplification isn't up to their standards. but, if you spend 2200 on 2 channel amplification and 1000 on speakers, you could get a really nice sounding little system. maybe a used linn amp with some used kelidhs?