Upgrading Bluesound Node power supply with PD Creative (Hans B. reviews on Youtube)

Prices for streamers can vary a lot, and the Bluesound Node series has gotten  good attention as a lower-tier priced streamer. Most who appreciate it also send its sound stream to an external DAC. 

I've replied in some threads that upgrading the power supply of the BS Node could elevate its performance without needing to spend many times the price of the Node. (I got mine for about $400.) I've recommended PD Creative as a place to get the needed power board which replaces the one inside the Node, making it now connectable to a linear power supply.

When I corresponded with PD Creative, they responded quickly and helpfully, despite the fact that at that time my correspondent was getting his personal home ready to take and house a family fleeing the war in Ukraine. Talk about multi-tasking.

Hans has done a service with this video, not only explaining how the PD Creative upgrade works, but also by illustrating it and commenting on the sound of the upgrade with multiple linear power supplies. He's fan of PD Creative, and so am I.

https://youtu.be/0alNiYSNyD4

128x128hilde45

I also did the upgrade in the 130 and the sounds was really good!! Then I got a hold of a Lumin u1 mini and there was No going back 😀…. Stock Lumin u1 sounds much better in my system. 

I have the Bluesound NODE N130, and upgraded about three months ago to the KECES P3 external power supply.  Opening the Bludesound box, and replacing the internal power board, was straight forward and well documented in the instructions that came with the board. the instructions were easy to follow. The Keces I bought gently used, so I suppose it was somewhat broken in; the internal board was new, purchased from pd-cf.com. The system with my Bluesound includes an Berkeley Alpha Dac, series 2, and alternatively the most excellent Doge 7 tube DAC (with upgraded tubes), and hard to find and excellent Bedini 100/100 DE power amp, with VMPS RM-40 speakers (with TRT caps, and other upgrades). There was a minor, but immediate improvement in the sound. I'd describe that as more clarity, and space between the notes, more open, less digital (I'm fundamentally a decades long analogue guy, because of being a teenager in the '70s). I'd have to open the Bluesound, and pull out the replace the original power board for a n updated comparison, and that's more work than I'm willing to do. I think the external power supply has continued to improve the sound over the last few months. I think it was definitely worth the about $500 I paid, total, for the used KECES  and the board.  I'm pleasantly surprised that I have no desire to upgrade my digital system any more. 

The Node/PD Creative upgrade is a step in the right direction but if you can part with more cash going with a Innuos, Lumin or Aurender streamer to name a few is a much bigger jump in sound quality. I went with Innous Zen Mk3. No going back for sure. I noticed a lot Node’s for sale on the used market in the last few months. Chord Cutest’s too.