Tyler/Salk sensible alternatives to Gallos?

Friends, Since I first posted last week, my obsessive tendencies have kicked into "gear." Many suggested the Gallo Ref III as a must hear for me - a musician who literally plays with his system. On paper, the Gallos make a strong impression with near universal accolades. But peeling away the adoration, I wonder whether they would be a best buy for my needs. I am prepared to buy used. The Gallos go for around $2k. But then you need to add the cost of the sub - another $500-600. Many may say it is not necessary. Without having it, I will always wonder. A bigger issue is the sound stage. I am told that they cast a broad but short shadow. Since I stand when I play/listen, that is a significant issue. I could buy a pair of stands, but custom made can run upwards of $700. Cinder blocks will not fit our decor, I am sure my wife will say. All told, even used, I am looking at something some north of $3k for the Gallos. And perhaps it is still the champ at that price point. But enter the contenders. I read that Mr. Tyler makes magic with his Linbrook Signatures which can be had from him, used, for $4k delivered with a 2 yr warranty. They can be had for hundreds less from private sellers. And Mr. Salk's QW can be had new for the same price as the Gallos in my paradigm, and his Ht3's could be had used for about $1000-1500 more. No reports from owners or reviewers quibble about the depth or vertical reach of these speakers, or the need for stands or subs. So, assuming that they all trade within the same range, and given my particular needs, would the Gallos still reign in my world?
deliberate1
your choices are close to infinite, if you are looking for suggesions. the gallos do not need a sub, but there are full range speakers that do for the viseral bass slam.
Post removed 
I owned the Gallos and don't particularly care for them. They're great at audiophile "special effects" but their instrumental tone through the midrange is opaque at best. Depending on the room, all that tweeter dispersion could be an issue too. Cue rotten tomatoes.

I'm way more toward the hi-eff camp for dynamics and tone.

The height issue isn't one of apparent stage height *in the listening chair*, but vertical dispersion which is limited. They will sound different standing vs. sitting. Most aphiles won't care, as their primary listening is seated.
Thanks to all. Frankly, Tvad, your suggestion for the Klipschorns triggered schoolboy lust. The first time I saw and heard a Paragon monolith was one of those "you remember exactly where you were where when...." moments. Damn if the idea of having a pair of Klipschorns wouldn't scratch that itch. And your second post about getting the drivers up got me thinking. My current house system is a pair of Newform Research speakers driven by a Pass Aleph 3 and Blue Circle 21 pre. It is a great combination for playing with, especially since the Newforms have a ribbon device that takes the overall height to 75", making the "driver" at ear level and then some. The Gallos are 36" and the other towers are in the 50" range (if memory serves). That system is set against a side wall in a large room - 24x24x18. The room opens into the rest of the house which adds another 1500sf or so. I could park the Klipschorns in the corners at the far end of the room, filling it and perhaps the rest of the house. The Pass/BC would be a good match for the Klipsch. I could run the Newforms in my studio with the Halcro MC40 I just got (thanks Ebay), and a pre that I am shopping for. And looks like the Khorns can be had (used) for less than the Gallos (2k-3k). Funny this passion. Yesterday, my sights were set on the state of the art Gallos, and today, on the art of the classic. Tvad, appreciate the paradigm shift.
Post removed