Topping D90 bass bloat?

I’m having difficulty integrating and dialing in my Topping D90 (AKM chip)…system context: amplification: ARC D300 (solid state), preamp ARC SP-16 (tube), speakers alternating between Vandersteen 3A and MoFi Sourcepoint 8. Digital source: Blusound Node 2i.

I recently introduced a dedicated preamp ARC SP-16 into my system. Prior to that I was using the the above gear through the preamp out section of my Denon 4700h AVR. Based on the thoughtful recommendation(s) of members here on a different thread, I decided to go the route of the dedicated preamp and it has been a total game changer! So, big thank you to this forum for that advice. I’m having an issue on the digital side of things however. When streaming through the blusound and external Topping D90, everything sounds bloated and bass boomy. I should mention that when listening to the Sourcepoint 8’s I am also using a ported Velodyne subwoofer with on board crossover and volume controls. The Vandys being more full range, I run without the sub. Anyway, with the ARC SP-16 now in the chain, I honestly prefer the system sound better when using the internal DAC of the blusound node over node + topping D90. This seems crazy to me though given how much “better” the D90 is as a DAC. I run the D90 in DAC mode only (not the default preamp mode), I have also experimented with different signal options, coax, optical etc. But again, I’m finding that with the D90 in the chain, everything sounds bloated, and boomy…I have to turn the sub volume way down, almost to zero! Overall volume and gain seems to be boosted with the D90 in the mix as well. When I take the D90 out and just use the internal DAC of the node going directly into the line stage of the ARC SP 16, everything seems to improve…more focus, air, clarity etc…less bloat…the subwoofer and low frequencies are much easier to tame, dial in etc. Again, given the supposed differences in the quality of these respective DACs, I’m truly perplexed by this…is this a case of perhaps too many components in the chain?? I know it’s tough to access without hearing in person or seeing my system up close but does anyone have any theoretical thoughts?

128x128mattsaunders2000

@dougsat , I did try the Topping in 'preamp' mode, which is how to engage the volume control that you refer to. Didn't notice a difference there to be honest, and with the ARC preamp in the mix, I don't love managing two separate gain dials. I elected to just keep the D90 in "direct dac" with a fixed volume. 

@mattsaunders2000 is the topping brand new? If so, allow it 200hrs of continuous operation to digest the bean buns and see if it gets rid of that bloat. If not, return it or sell it. It’s probably just a terrible synergy. 

Try the different filter settings that the topping provides.  One might help. I have a few topping dacs, and they do tend to have a deep bass response. Also try some different cables between the dac and the preamp. 

I think your issue is related to the output gain setting.  On APOS' page it says:

The Topping D90 digital-to-analog converter (DAC) has a volume control function that can be disabled to make the D90 function as a DAC that produces output levels of 4Vrms (XLR) and 2Vrms (RCA). The default setting is the higher one, which has slightly better specs, and can overload the inputs with some preamplifiers or headphone amplifiers, resulting in distortion. Changing the D90SE's output to 4-volt XLR/2-volt RCA will usually solve the problem.