The Music Room

With all the talk about PayPal and the IRS, I'm considering other ways to sell my unused gear. I've been thinking about The Music Room. I have the system I want and have no need for trade ins. Has anyone else sold items to The Music Room? How was your experience? Did they give you a decent price for your gear (I understand they need to make a profit too). I just don't want any complications come tax season next year...

mewsickbuff

@geof3 

Well said and correct. The market will find a way to place a value on items that you want to buy or sell (whether you think it's fair it or not). :-)

Most used items will net you 30% to 50% of retail. Some less than 30% and not many more than 50%.

That is the item value lost by the enjoyment gained from being the first person to open the box.

I have used TMR many times both to buy and sell.

If they give you a cash offer the amount will make sure they can end up with a profit for the sale. For very new gear this might be the best choice.

Also as stated above you can consign to them and you will (possibly) get a little more money for your gear.

I have actually done better just consigning to them but as stated you will have to be patient and not need the money right away.

I give them 10 out of 10 for everything they do and how professional every aspect of the selling process is handled.

Make no mistake - you are paying for convenience and more instant gratification selling your gear to TMR Audio. This is an option some prefer to selling it yourself over a longer period of time in most cases. They are not going to pay you retail for your gear, and making a profit is how they can afford to receive, test, market, list and re-sell your gear, along with them paying for a large staff to be able to offer these types of services to the general public.

In return, they take it off your hands relatively quickly. and you are off to shopping for your next piece of gear or thinning down your collection, whatever the case.

Its also a great service for those who enjoy buying gear from TMR. Ive bought and sold gear to TMR several times, and 95% of the transactions have been seamless. They seem to have a solid business strategy, continue to stay in business, and still growing. Can’t complain about that for an industry that was kinda struggling five years ago. Its also fun to just browse their site once in a while. Enjoy!

What form of payment does TMR make when buying your gear?

I've bought from them numerous times, but never sold to them. I use a detailed spreadsheet to track all my purchases and sales for possible IRS audit some day.