The absolute best and worst-sounding CD you own ?

This could be a tricky one. Many audiophiles and music lovers will care more for an artist they like in mediocre sound than a artist they can't stand no matter how great the recording is. Still, I am interested in finding out what truly outstanding recordings there are out there. Of course there are listening biases and all that can be said about the equipment.

My personnal best: Harry Belafonte at Carnegie Hall

My worst: The standard cd issue ''YES-Fragile'' just plain bad no matter on what you play it on. OK so this is a ''rock'' cd and they are all supposed to sound bad right?, still, there is no excuse for this turkey.

Let's have your choice...
sonicbeauty
Best - Mickey Hart - Dafos. This is my reference recording when I audition new audio gear. It was recorded in 1982 at the Japan Center Theater, San Fran. The tonal qualities and airiness are exceptional. The recording was done on two track with no overdubbing. This is the same philosophy that Mapleshade Studios applies in their recording. Check out some of the reviews on Mapleshade Studios at their website (www.mapleshaderecords.com) to gain an understanding of the philosophy. Pierre Sprey is an absolute genius who thinks way outside the box.

Worst - Bob Marley - Legend. Unbearably bright. Can't even listen to it.
M*A Recordings make sublime sounding CDs. 

Worst? Most all I bought in mid 80 when cds 1st came out. Gawdawful transfers. 
Don't know about the best, have to think about that.

The worst: love the music, but the recording is just god-awful.  Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes: Tooth, Fang, and Claw.
Some CD's that sound absolutely blissful in terms of sonics, presence, and tangible, holographic feeling when playing:

1. Ponty, DiMeola, and Clark - Rites of Strings ('95, I think). Exquisite production and atmospherics, not to mention virtuoso, melodic playing.

2. Herbie Hancock - The Joni Letters ('07). Absolutely three-dimensional presence here. Great music to listen to your system through.

scott_w

I, too, bought the bulk of my CDs during the 80's. Most (99%) of these discs are flat transfers from the LP sources. Very little remixing, futzing with the original material going on there.  The 1st real wave of re-mastering, remixing (not always revealed to the consumer), occurred in 1994.
Another big over-haul or 2nd wave of re-mastering/remixing occurred in 2000 to correlate with the HDCD codec.
Later on during the 2000's as pro-tools came online and 2010 forward with auto-tune, most of these discs are not flat transfers.
Happy Listening!