Technics SL-1200 goes out of production

I have various friends in the Japanese music business, and one of them (CEO of a dance-club in Tokyo) just received a notice from Panasonic KK, to the effect that the venerable SL-1200 is at long last going out of production.

The relevant contents of the correspondence from Panasonic loosely translate as follows:

We (Panasonic) launched the SL-1200 series of analog players in 1972, and have continued to sell them to the present. Based on DD (Direct-Drive) technology, the compactness and high performance of the SL-1200 series has won it many long-term adherents.

Despite this, unit sales have diminished year by year, also it has become more difficult to maintain the production system and continue procuring the required components. Simply put, sustaining production has become an ordeal.

With that in mind, we regretfully announce the end-of-life for the following products:

SL-1200 MK6 analog player
SH-EX1200 analog audio mixer
RP-DH1200 / RP-DJ1200 stereo headphones.

You can see a webpage of similar content here (but in Japanese)

http://blog-shibuya-club.diskunion.net/Entry/2157/

It's a sad day, but all good things eventually come to an end...

kind regards, jonathan carr
jcarr
Jonathan, in light of recent similar rumors that proved false, I read your post with skepticism until I saw it was from you. But the announcement does not say that the entire series has been discontinued. It says only the SL-1200 Mk6 has. It doesn't say anything about the SL-1200 Mk 2 or the SL-1210 Mk 5. I wonder if those other tables are included by implication. If so, it certainly puts an end to something of a legend.
-Bob
Bob:

I asked some of my acquaintances at Panasonic about some of the previous rumors, and was told (at the time) that they were false. This one unfortunately appears to be genuine.

I have been under the impression that the MK6 was the only SL-1200 remaining in production. I seem to recall that the former manager of SL-1200 production told me that all other models were no longer viably (economically) for Panasonic to produce. In fact, I think that the MK6 was a final attempt by Panasonic to make the SL-1200 profitable again, or at least avoid losing money. Usually, the large Japanese companies prefer not to increase pricing on an existing model, and will address any pricing imbalances with the launch of a new model.

At any rate, if my recollection of what I was told is correct, all non-MK6 SL-1200s available through dealers would be from existing inventory. But that's just my recollection, and I would be very happy if at least one of the SL-1200 variants remains in production.

I will try to look into the situation a little more (don't have much time these days since I am in the middle of a major move), and will update if there is anything new to report.

If anyone else has any useful information or input, please feel free to comment.

best, jonathan
I just picked up a SL1200MK5. My source in the biz said it was not true. He they would have issued a press release, but none has ever been produced. More here say. I think it is more of attention grabber by Panny. Or to try to test the waters and see if any interest spiked up. who knows. It is funny that it does not sell as well. Since it was built as HI-FI TT. I have a buddy with a TT that he paid 10k(don't recall the name) for it and it collects dust cause he uses his classic SL 1200 upgraded by KABuas. It would be a sad day if they did discontinue the line.
How does the MK6 differ from the MK5, other than being produced for a different market?
You guys are better than me, I'm a buyer, I do a million dollars a year with Panasonic (TV's), Just emailed my rep and said I wanted a table for myself-any model. She emailed back and said "I'm sorry, we don't have anymore turntables anywhere"
This is what I do for a living guys, either my Panasonic rep is lying to me, or maybe they are just not selling tables in the U.S. anymore or others are getting bad info
about them being available.
I can't get one.