Stereophile "coverage"

Stereophile must enjoy all the negative reaction they get out of their choices of what to cover. Witness the latest cover story, the new Krell LAT-1 speaker. Here, from the biggest of the big advertisers, we get basically immediate cover-story coverage of their latest release, a $37,500 speaker. Stratospheric. The reviewer (who amazingly wasn't Jonathon Scull, with something of this price), is extremely positive while almost seeming to forget the price of this beast. It doesn't go much below 40Hz and it measures horribly. I guess you'll have to wait for their $75K model to get around those obstacles, though the option to pair the LAT-1's with some Krell Master subs is offered up to get down below 40Hz.

So, a super-expensive speaker coupled with other reviews of >$8K components ("you guys never review affordable stuff!"), immediate, feature coverage of a new Krell product ("You guys pander to your advertisers!"), and a very positive review of gear that nobody would argue measures respectably (at any price) ("You guys always give good reviews!"), on top of the usual reduced size of the magazine in the middle of the summer - the August issue should keep the negative feedback coming in full doses.

kthomas
I liked the coverage of the Denon receiver, the computer speakers, and especially the sound cards - I had no real interest in purchasing the first two, and only a modest interest in the last one, but I was very interested to see how experienced reviewers compared these to the usual fare, since they don't usually get coverage in a way that they can be compared to the higher-end stuff.

When they put the Denon receiver on the cover and took all the heat for it (not from me), they said they wanted to grab more people's eyes, draw them into picking up and hopefully buying / reading the magazine - extend the reach of the hobby. Great, makes sense, I'm all for it. Now you've got some interested newcomers and you shift into your alter-ego and produce an issue with nothing reviewed under $8K. I'm still reading because I was already reading, but anybody who you happened to snag with your coverage of the Denon is scratching their head and re-confirming that audiophiles are completely out of touch. Sam's space was filled with a rant about how terrible it is that anyone would even consider surround sound (something you might have wanted the Denon for), but more importantly was NOT filled with the usual coverage of something considerably more affordable along with his obvious enjoyment of same. Fremer's column was coverage of the show, which necessarily meant brief coverage of very high-priced analog gear so, again, nothing a newcomer would immediately relate to.

Maybe they're just searching, trying new things and seeing what is well received, what isn't, etc. I'm sure it's tough times to be an audio magazine and I'm glad to see them trying different things. But I also think they're aware of what they're doing and the type of reaction they're going to get, and given the number of instances they provide of things they have to know are going to draw criticism, I have to assume they enjoy it. -Kirk

I have no problem with Stereophile reviewing $37500 speakers or $500 speakers but I do have a problem when a $37500 speaker that won't go much below 40hz gets a favorable review with the mention of the necessity to purchase the yet un-priced huge 450lb subwoofer to go with these lame duck speakers plus the need to play at over 100 db to sound right, probably to blast the sound past the rubber band grille. I'm sure if these speakers were made by a new unheard of company that didn't advertise in their magazine they would not even be reviewed, and if they were reviewed they would be severely trashed. The speakers may not suck but for the price ratio I'd say they do. Krell advertising dollars at work here.
I've heard that emap is selling out and took a large loss on their purchase of Stereophile. "See Audioasylum for John Atkinson's posts." I can't help but feel that most of the complaints about the size of the magazine, what's on the cover and products reviewed over the last year are to a large extent the doings of emap. I don't think John would admit this though.

My first feeling about this issue was "wow", this is thin and must be due to the transition in ownership. After reading it I still felt it was way thin, but enjoyed what was there.

Even though Sam and Mike did not review any equipment their articles were fine. And, I thought the debate concerning 5.1 vs 2 was great. I believe Steve won that battle! And, I'm glad that the Stereophile writers are voicing their opinions, whether I agree or not!

I would rather have Stereophile review "statement" products and high end equipment than cheap department store crap. A few good budget products are helpful in all the catagories, but I like that kept to a minimum. I don't have millions to spend either. I believe that this is what they have been in the past and I want that to continue.

I think that the complaints about not enough cheap recievers and $500 speakers is like me going into a BMW dealership and damning them for not having enough $12,000 cars. It's not their market and I don't believe it will ever be.

There are enough mass-market review rags for the extreme budget minded to read. Lets not try to make BMW sell Yugo.

"I know this is a polar example and I'm using it to make a point."
As something of a newcomer to "high end" audio I find it disappointing that a magazine like Stereophile does so little to encourage "newbies" like myself. My budget for gear probably exceeds that of others with a similar level of experience. Even so, products with a price tag much over $15K are all but untouchable. That doesn't mean reviews of "the higher priced spread" aren't interesting, just that there seems to be an imbalance between them and what are real world products for many of us. Stereophile would do well by having one writer dedicated to the "lower" high end who reviews products NOT made with unobtainium. A little more effort should also go into moving outside the very obvious circle of advertising manufacturers if for no other reason than to add a little spice and variation to the content. Not to mention maybe using it as an opportunity to regain a bit of their apparently tarnished credibility.

This is as good a place as any to add that I do understand the relationship between advertisers, periodicals and consumers. That's why comments like "The magazine only costs a buck" make me smile. The magazine costs what it costs to publish and it's more than a buck. Someone may only pay $1 out of pocket for a copy, but guess who is ultimately paying for all those glossy pictures and full page ads? Of course! We do when we buy something from one of the advertisers! That the cost is rolled into the price of a new cable doesn't change the price of the mag or who pays for it.

All that said, the most outstanding comment was from Musicslug who said to take "things with a great many grains of salt". I'd say that was one slug not long for this world! ;-)
The core readership of Stereophile is being let down - one by one - and the ML Prodigy and LAT-1 reviews are the most obvious symptons of this - pooly written and biased: e.g. the price/value relationship of the LAT-1. If a $40k (inc. taxes & shipping) speaker ought to be augmented by a sub there's something wrong!

The only thing I read the mag. for is MIKEY and the "Industry Updates" The classifieds are dead!

There are many areas of interest that could be introduced...reader's systems, store features, service features, vintage gear, pictures of the rear of reviewed components, established "Recommended Components" products (those pieces that have endured), and on and on.

But they won't do it! Go ahead let us all down Stereophile...I READ Ultimate Audio and UHF Magazine now anyway.