Speaker Preferences?

Sorry to start yet another of these "Which speaker is best" threads but I'm curious how astute AudioGon members rate the following speakers. My room is mid-sized (14 x 20 x 9) and my system is all very high-quality stuff. I listen mostly to rock music at not-quite-obnoxious levels.

Here's what I'm looking at in the under $7000 range:

- Martin Logan Vantage
- Acoustic Zen Adagio
- Revel Salon Studio (used)
- Wilson Sophia (used)

Please comment only if you've actually spent serious listening time with at least two of these speakers.

Thanks!
meagan02
Meagan02,

For roomfilling ambient sound go for the Martin Logans - they have the amazing ablility to dissapear but they might sound a bit "dull" compared to conventional speakers...

The Acoustic Zen Adagio produces a solid wall of sound. They are not bad but they lack a certain 'x-factor'.

Revel Salon Studio. A true pedigree loudspeaker. Will knock your socks off but needs very good amplification will lots of control. Midrange/Treble is neutral and presented in a organic way. Bass goes low and tight but then again only with good amplification. These speakers deliver what comes of the recording - the good, the bad and the ugly...

Wilson Sophia - a very "noble" loudspeaker with the ability to satisfy. Wide soundstage, accurate presentation.

Have a look also at the Zingali Overture 4 speakers - horn-based mid/high driver and the most amazing bass from a rather slim cabinet.

DV
DV,

Thanks for your very articulate descriptions. Sounds like you've spent a lot of time listening and evaluating.
My pleasure,

Recently I have spent some 'quality' time with the Zingali's. What an amazing speaker. When comparing a Martin Logan to the Overture it is like night to day. The Zingali's are so much more vivid and inviting - you sit there 'feeding' on the lush & detailled sound produced form the Overtures. The ML's are good but they really sound "dull"...

DV