Sonus Faber Il Cremonese Amp Pairing suggestions

I'm a newbie and this is my first post on an audio forum. I got into the hobby a little over a year ago looking for the best combo for enjoying 2 channel stereo and home theater. Since then, I have upgraded my gear multiple times and now taking a huge leap on my front towers from Lumina V to Il Cremonese.

I'm currently running: Anthem STR stereo amplifier (600W/ch to 4ohm) powering Lumina V, AVM90, MCA 525 gen 2 5 channel powering Olympica Nova C2 center and Lumina II surrounds, Wireworld Equinox 8 speaker cables and silver eclipse XLR. I also have 2 JL E112 subs. The STR really brings the Luminva V to life with excellend imaging and clarity with a crossover at 100hz.

Although I love the DAC on the AVM90, I understand a stereo preamp/DAC is a superior solution in the future. I wanted to get the best speaker possible, then build my 2 channel around that by upgrading amps, speaker cables, and preamp. 

I've been told that the STR amplifier isn't sufficient to enjoy the Il Cremonese like they should be played. The Mcintosh MC611 pair and Luxman M10X have both been suggested to be as a solution under $20k. I'm interested to hear if you think the STR would be a "laughable" pairing for the Il Cremonese? And what other suggestions you may have?

I really appreciate your feedback and time! I've enjoyed reading this forum for the past year, but haven't found any threads that exactly address my situation. Thank you!

damusicguy

We used to sell anthem it is decent gear and is up to the task for the sonus a pure tube preamp would take the str amp up a notch over the avm 

We had both the avm 70 and 90 the Audio Control Maestro was far better sounding

DAVE AND troy

AUDIO INTELLECT NJ

I’m interested to hear if you think the STR would be a "laughable" pairing for the Il Cremonese?

No, not at all (for now anyway — read on). In fact, as you’re already familiar with the the sound of the Anthem gear I’d highly recommend you continue to use it with the new speakers for a couple months and let your ears/brain settle in to the new sound. You probably know this, but if the speakers are new you should wait at least 200 hours of playing time before making any firm conclusions. Now, after the speakers are broken in and you feel confident you know the sound as it exists, identify which areas you’d like to improve upon and then do research to find equipment that has strengths in those areas. Moving too fast and trying to choose any equipment now is at least a waste of time and worse you could end up with a combo of gear that doesn’t ultimately synergize to your tastes/liking. That’s why you need to set a firm baseline with the Anthem gear and then determine the direction you want/need to go. BTW, when you’re listening in 2-channel do NOT employ the Anthem room correction because your new stereo preamp or integrated stereo amp won’t have it and you need a pure apples-to-apples comparison here.

As you alluded to, with speakers at this level you’ll want a separate DAC, stereo preamp and amp (yes you are going to replace the STR), or a kick-ass integrated amp. Obviously you’ll keep the AVM90 for HT duties and run its front L/R preouts to the stereo pre or integrated so there’s that. Once you’ve acclimated to the new speakers and determine what direction you want to go sonically start looking/researching for the components above that go in that direction. By all means do not rush this process or you could very well make some potentially bad — and very expensive — decisions you may really regret. Take your time, enjoy the process/search, and get it right. It’ll pay off huge in the long run, and these speakers deserve the effort.

BTW, why the II Cremonese? Have you heard them? There are many phenomenal speakers in that price range from the likes of Magico, Wilson, Rockport, Joseph Audio, Vandersteen, Usher, Raidho, etc. out there and are well worth auditioning just for perspective if nothing else if you haven’t already. Anyway, just my $0.02 FWIW.

@soix

+1

Wow. That is fast upgrading. Congratulations. You have some word class speakers there. I completely agree with Soix. You want to let them break in and more importantly, you need to understand what your system sounds like so you can make good decisions. With these speakers, if carefully paired with appropriate and synergistic components and with the proper room treatment you can have yourself a world class system.

Songs Faber are very natural / musical sounding speakers. I have had three pair. They have a very known synergy with Audio Research components and Transparent interconnects and cables. Assuming you want a natural sounding musical system... meaning realistically recreating the musical experience... as opposed to accentuated detail, treble and bass which is very common to make them sound really dynamic (the salt, sugar and fat of the audio world). Then an ideal pairing would be Audio Research Reference 6SE preamp (yes, you need and want one... this is a whole discussion that has happened many times, no need to rehash here), and Audio Research Reference DAC9, and ARC Reference 160s or 160m monoblocks. This equipment is of appropriate quality to complement your speakers. You can see my system under my user ID.

There are other sound types. Like Holographic... if that is what you are going for, you start with Wilson speakers. If rock music with a kick to your chest is what you are looking for then one would start with B&W speakers and maybe Macintosh components. 

Hopefully the kind of sound you are looking for is what I described. Then you are on track.

I really appreciate the well thought out responses so far! Yes, I chose Sonus faber Lumina V for the natural sound. For my critical listening I have a vast collection of Jazz and Classical music. I have my current setup with perfect speaker placement that creates a realistic almost holographic soundstage at the main listening position. Everyone that hears the system is very impressed by the imaging and detail, especially for $3k speakers. I figured if they sound this great, then the Il Cremonese will be the ultimate experience beyond my wildest dreams (a ton more of a great thing). I got a great deal on perfect condition lightly used speakers that are a few years old, so they should come broken in. I will actually receive them in a few weeks and was trying to plan ahead. I will take the advice of spending time to carefully choose my new gear and not rush into it. I’m relieved that no one said the STR will be awful and I need to replace it immediately!

One factor I’m trying to figure out is whether I really need a lot of watts to make the Cremonese sing. For my Lumina V I tried: Marantz 90wpc, Anthem 170wpc, Anthem 400wpc, then finally the STR 600wpc. They didn’t really start reaching maximum potention until I put then on the 400wpc MCA before getting the STR. I don’t want to make the same, and more expensive mistake with the Il Cremonese, by underpowering them. Still getting great sound quality, but not opening them up enough?

I will look into everyone’s suggestions.....

Just a thought off the top. Your first concern for an amp should be if it offers the sound characteristics you’re looking for because if not what’s the point and then concern yourself with power.  The Cremonese’s sensitivity is a relatively high 92dB with a nominal impedance of 4 Ohms. What this tells me is that even more than higher Wpc you should pay attention to an amp’s power supply. With a nominal impedance of 4 Ohms it’s reasonable to assume it drops below that in at least one if not two points over the frequency range, so you need an amp that has the power reserves to handle those dips. With their high sensitivity I kinda doubt you’d need much more than 200Wpc if that amp can double into 4 Ohms and close to double again into 2 Ohms. Bottom line is you don’t necessarily need huge Wpc to make the Cremonese sing in full voice.

That said, do not ignore the importance of the preamp that is often at least as important as an amp, and in many cases, like mine, the preamp can have significantly more influence on a system’s performance than an amp. Balance in a system is critical, so your amp and preamp should be on the same level performance wise or one could easily become a bottleneck. Likewise the DAC should be at a similar performance level as the pre and amp, and personally I wouldn’t attack cables until I had these other pieces in place, but eventually they’ll be important to address too and need to synergize with everything else. Again, FWIW.