Review: Sound anchors Micromain 27 Stand

Category: Accessories

Since no one has mentioned Sound anchors or why these are such a valid option to the Barefoot MM27, i will.
A fast look in the future of these stands shows the optional positioning of the speakers, vertical or horizontal, you can also angle them slightly down or up.
Thomas Barefoot recommended me to mount speakers so that tweeter is always in level with the ear.
Clearly obtainable with Sound anchors.
Change sofa or chair and normal stands become too short or too high. Not with these.
Also, speakers are never allowed to tip down or fall over or off as with normal stands.

To assembly the stands and mounting speakers at desired hight and angle is a bit of work.
2 persons is better than one and a bit of time is required.
Using a level tool is a good idea to get both speakers in line/level and also makes it easier when deciding on angle (up/down or in level).
No fancy level tool is needed, a small cheap 2 bubble version will do good.
Stands will perform much better if placed at their original spikes which are included.
However, i can recommend "Track audio's Isolation cones" under the spikes.
These are offering the deepest cavity at the market and are of very high quality. That allows you to move the stands ( with speakers mounted on the stands) with an easy hand.
This by gently pulling the stands base into desired direction/ position.
A simple cone/ coaster which has a less deep cavity, will allow the spike(s) to slide out of one or more coasters while positioning.
You do not want that!

Once setup, you will notice a more precise and solid imaging, improved clarity, a bettered dynamical impact and a bass which is fast, deep, tight and not proned to be bloated.
The forces left in the speakers will not be bouncing back and forth (speaker-stand-speaker) as with normal stands.
As speakers are mounted to a support arm and an additional arm is on the stands. This arm is directly torqued to the rear of MM27, this further reduce vibration in speakers chassi.
Stands are filled with mineral absorbing some of these forces/ vibrations.
I used typical stands before Sound anchors MM27 stands. Even though Sound anchors are expensive, i think they should be considered as a part of the speaker, more so, than an expensive option one can be without.
They cost almost double in EU due to shipping costs (weight).
Comes highly recommended for all users, no matter studio or home listner.

Associated gear
Click to view my Virtual System
128x128inpieces
The only gripe using Sound anchors with Micromain 27 is that the vertical metal rods of the stands, are in the way of the IEC connector of the speakers. This makes aftermarket power chords hard to fit.
However there is a solution to this which is very very good.
Voodoo cables makes a "vertical right-angle 15 amp IEC adapter". This is actually the answer. It allows us to use all, even the heftiest power chords we can find.
This adapter is really recommend as i use it myself with great success:-)