Questions about Musical Fidelity M5si Integrated

Hello,

I've been strongly considering the M5si integrated, and I have a couple of questions about it.

First, I have seen some posts in various forums about issues with using the HT bypass input, mainly things like noise, cracks or pops etc.  Does anyone here have experience with this amp and using the HT bypass on it?

Second, I am trying to get a reply from the manufacturer on whether or not this amp is a 'common ground' design, or instead if the negative speaker terminals are floating.  My speakers require that the negative speaker terminals are tied together.  Does anyone here know?

Thank you,
Greg

rhythm5

Results from Perplexity AI:  “ Based on the search results provided, it appears that some users have reported issues with the HT bypass input on the Musical Fidelity M5SI integrated amplifier, such as crackling, fading in and out, and other noise problems. Here is a summary of the key points:

- The crackling and fading sound issues seem to occur when connecting the Denon AVR-X4500H receiver to the HT bypass input of the M5SI, but not when connecting other sources directly to the M5SI[1][2][3][4][5].

- Users have tried different RCA cables but the problem persists, suggesting it may be an issue with the M5SI or the connection between the two devices[1][3].

- Some users speculate the issue could be a fault in either the M5SI or the Denon AVR, but the exact cause is unclear[1][3].

- The problem appears to be isolated to the HT bypass input, as direct connections to the M5SI do not exhibit the same crackling and fading issues[1][2].

In summary, while the exact cause is uncertain, multiple users have reported problems with noise and signal issues when using the HT bypass input on the Musical Fidelity M5SI integrated amplifier, particularly when connecting it to a Denon AVR receiver. The issue seems to be isolated to the HT bypass functionality”.  

does this help?

Yes, the comments referred to above are ones that I have read, which drove me to bring this up in this forum. I will definitely be using the HT bypass function, but not with a Denon AVR. So I’m not quite sure what to make of this. Sounds like there are many users of the M5si who have not had any HT bypass issues, but there are a few who have.

By the way, a very helpful person in the Polk Forum provided me with contact information for someone who used to work for MF and knows their equipment, has done mods, etc. He did reply and tell me that the M5si is indeed a common ground design. So it appears that I can use this with my Polk SDAs.

Focal Naim wants you to send them an email at:

[email protected]

I filed a request for you and they responded with an email asking you to send them an email at address above.  

Already sent a request to that email address back on March 15th. Someone replied and forwarded my message to their service department so they could help me. Nothing back yet, despite me sending a few reminders to both the first address and the service department’s address.

I’ve tried their phone lines too - no luck.

Originally I emailed Musical Fidelity directly, but didn't get any help/responses back either.

I will likely buy this amp, but it would nice to know that I was buying a product from a company who will respond when trying to get an answer to a simple question.

@rhythm5, I agree Musical Fidelity Customer support is not the best. In any case, I like my musical Fidelity M6Si amp very much. Did you ever get a response from your retailer on your question?