Question concerning the Mint Tractor

I am considering buying the Mint Tractor. When aligning a cartridge with the Mint tractor, would I have to take the thickness of the mirror into consideration by raising the VTA during cartridge alignment?
josephdtorres
Ah ... I took a look at the Trans-Fi tonearm. It's the Ladegaard design - leveraging the kitchen tabletop concept of using nested angled aluminum for the air bearing.

If this fellow has followed Ladegaard's general recommendations, then I'd say that this arm is most definitely worth a listen.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
"I've wistfully noted that the Mint helps me imagine what a good tangenital tracker might sound like at all points across an LP.My dream has always been a Kuzma Airline.Some day."....

I hope you do realize "that" dream!....

Maybe you'll not think I'm as nuts as I've always come off,when you own such an "amazing instrument"!...Well,you'll have a definite different opinion of LP replay,at least -:)

I'm still "wistfully" imagining ANY kind of LP replay!

Best
Thanks for the feedback.

The Mint tractor I ordered came in.

Originally I set up my cartridge using a Mobile Fidelity Geo-Disk.

The first thing I did, after receiving the Mint Tractor, was check the effective length and overhang, which was off by approximately 0.5mm according to the Tractor.

The line of sight on the Geo-disk is about 0.5mm thick so I must admit the Mint Tractor is a precision instrument.

Initially, the thought crossed my mind that maybe the Geo-disk set-up was close enough.

After thinking about it for a while, I decided to go ahead and adjust my cartridge to the Mint tractor.

The Mint Tractor is about the thickness of a 200gm record and I usually listen to 200 gm records about 22-26 clicks higher than at the setting I use for my thinnest records. So I initially adjusted the VTA to that setting using the VTA adjustment on the JMW 10.5i.

I then followed the instructions for positioning the cartridge and Mint Tractor for effective length and overhang, which took several iterations. When I was done I adjusted the Azimuth since it was slightly off. I checked he effective length and overhang to verify that it had not changed.

The Mint Tractor instructions suggest resting at this point and after an hour and a half the preliminary part of the set-up, I was too tired to continue. I waited until the next day to finish.

Afterwards, I listened to some old records that I bought used. They sounded unbelievably good. The Mint Tractor is nice upgrade to my system.