Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hi Betcha, I am Using a Audio Research 100.2 SS amp with my Syrah. The amp is 100 wpc and sounds very sweet. I feel I get the sound of a good natural sounding tube amp without the hassles. I used to have an Audible Illusions M3A preamp, which I thought was great until I got my Syrah. The Syrah has a much more natural sound to it. The AA over emphisized bass compared th the Syrah which intigrates the highs, midrange, and bass much better.
Well before the Syrah and the Plinius I used to have a Sonic Frontiers Line 2SE and a Krell FPB 200. I sold both of them when my Chardonay arrived. Comparing the two preamps was a little hard since both preamps were used on different amplifiers, given I was able to used the Chardonay with the Krell for a few days, but the Chardonay was not really broken in at the time. Anyway what I can tell you is the difference between the two combinations.

The SF and Krell were great and I've enjoyed it for almost a couple of years, but the Supratek and Plinius are a few notches higher IMO, more air and life are the words that come to mind.

I'm listening to it as I type this and I have a big smile on my face (Patricia Barber "NIghtclub"on the EMC 1).
You guys are so nice. I am going to upgrade pre,poweramp soon so I have any chance to listen syrah with ssamp. I live in montreal canada.
Well, the Cortese arrived and I am speachless! But let me try to share my total and complete joy with any of you who may still be sitting on the fense. GET OFF THE FENSE AND ORDER THIS THING. Never had I heard music reproduction that is so REAL. Everyting I play (intilally-CD and SACD sources) just comes to life. There is more inner detail, dynamics (will scare the you know what out of you when you first experience a "rim shot" through the Cortese), tight and impactful low end, but with a natural bloom that is so often missing in most equipment I've tried, an extended top end that goes out there with such beauty, and the midrange--WHOW.
So Mick tells me that he's been playing with the phono circuitry and related components and that I really needed to get a TT. Well, I thought my vinyl days were done years ago. NOT. I picked up a Music Hall-7 table (didn't want to go to deep - too soon) and DOUBLE WHOW. Can't seem to buy vinyl fast enough. I'm hooked! Does anyone out there have a suggEstion for an upgrade MC cartridge to use in the MH-7 that would have a lower output than the cartridge that came with it (2.5mv)? It is working but Mick suggested that I'm at the upper limits of the imput sensitvity of the phono stage.
Very interesting product.

I haven't heard or seen it, but I'm sure most of the magic
you folks are hearing is the octal base 6SN7s in the line
stage. MFA used these and their mil spec counter part the 5692 in their preamps.

Interesting that the designer didn't use a 6SL7/5691 in his phono stage.

Aloha.