Phono Stage upgrade to complement Dohmann Helix One Mk 2

Thanks to the recommendations from many users on this Audiogon blog, I think I was able to make a more informed purchase of a turntable, the Dohmann Helix One Mk 2.  I've really been enjoying the turntable for the past month!  

The next phase of my system now needs attention:  the phono stage.  Currently, I'm using a Manley Steelhead v2 running into an Ypsilon PST-100 Mk2 SE pre-amplifier (into Ypsilon Hyperion monoblocks, into Sound Lab M745PX electrostatic speakers). 

I've been told that I could really improve my system by upgrading the phono stage from the Manley Steelhead (although I've also been told that the Manley Steelhead is one of the best phono stages ever made).  
Interestingly, two of the top phono stages that I'm considering require a step-up transformer (SUT).  I'm not fully informed about any inherent advantages or disadvantages of using an SUT versus connecting directly to the phono stage itself.  

I suppose my current top two considerations for a phono stage are the Ypsilon VPS-100 and the EM/IA  LR Phono Corrector, both of which utilize an SUT.  I don't have a particular price range, but I find it hard to spend $100k on stereo components, so I'm probably looking in the $15k - $70k price range. 
Thanks. 

drbond

@clearthinker 
you are spot on of why I purchased a VDH Grail SB- excellent sonics, very low noise floor, long track record, bargain priced in used market.  I’m hoping for additional brand synergy with my VDH Colibri Grand Cru.

@drbond , you just bought one of the very best if not the best turntable on the market. There are many turntables that are much more expensive that you could have gone for so, you were also interested in value. I also assume that the Dohmann's design and the reputation of it's designer led you to the purchase. 

I look at things the same way. Here is how it goes with phono stages. All my favorite cartridges are low impedance moving coil cartridges. I am not sure why that is but, so be it. These cartridges are low output and require a very quiet phono stage with a lot of gain unless you run the cartridges in current mode then the lower the impedance the higher the gain resulting in a better signal to noise ratio. The magnetic braking on the cantilever is far less resulting in better tracking than you would get with a voltage mode phono stage. All the current mode phono stages I know of are solid state. This limits my search to solid state current mode stages. I think Rob Robinson of Channel D is a brilliant designer as I think of Mark Dohmann. If you want to spend $60,000 than the Seta L20 is IMHO the way to go. It is a great example of American ingenuity. I will not spend that much on a phono stage. I went for the Seta L Plus wired for current mode. If I wind up with a second tonearm I'll get a second one.  

I am cautious to bring this up but given the caliber of your table and arm, have you ever listened to the DS Audio.  I had a dps turntable with Schroder arm, and an Ortofon MA 90 with a Tom Evans Groove SRX +, until I heard the DS Audio.  I was stunned.  So much so that I got out of moving coil and now have Grand Master and Emm labs DS-EQ1.  The two would be the price of many hi end phono stages.  I realize you have a lot invested, and it won't lend itself to 2 arms but if you ever get the chance do listen.  I, in no way, am trying to suggest the other choices aren't great.  Best of luck

@dover 

Thanks for sharing those links.  I'll have to review them this weekend, when I have a few free moments.  

Thanks also for your recommendation of the van den Hul Grail SE+, as a current-based phono stage.  That seems to be a contender.  @kennyc also recommended that one. 

@lewm 

Thanks for bringing up a shortcoming of the FM Acoustics phono stage.  Since my pre-amplifier is Ypsilon, and I run it in the passive mode, I would need a phono stage with higher gain settings. 

@mijostyn 

Thanks for the recommendation of the Channel D Seta L20, which is another current-based phono stage.  I'll have to admit that I'm most skeptical about this one, though, as I'm not sure if it's really going to be worth the $60k, if another one for $30-40k is just as good. . . 

So far, I would have to place my leading contenders as all current-based phono stages: 
CH Precision P1

van den Hul Grail SE+

Channel D Seta L20

I really appreciate everyone's contribution to my learning experience, as I would really otherwise have no idea where to start.  

@drbond , The CH was also on my list but it fell off due to price and the admission that it's stock power supply is not good enough. They will be happy to sell you a second one so now you have paid for two power supplies instead of the one you should have had t begin with. The L20 gives you the best possible power supply up front, batteries that are disconnected from the line during play. The trickery does not end there either. To reduce noise to extraordinary low levels the L20 uses 20 of the Seta L's gain modules, 10 in each channel. I think this is a computer trick. You increase gain without increasing noise levels and the signal to noise ratio increases. In MkII form it now has multiple inputs and will also run in Voltage mode for higher impedance cartridges. I have no idea why you would want to. With cartridges like the Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon Verissimo and the My Sonic Platinum Signature there is no need to look elsewhere. (that is going to cause some frowns) The sad part is that there is no way I'll get 60K for a phono stage by my wife. She had a heart attack when I mentioned $25k for a projector. So, I'll have to do with the lowly Seta L Plus. Same circuit with two gain modules, fewer bells and whistles noisier but still very quiet. Could be worse.