Pani ... New ART-9 up and running ...

The Cartridge arrived and I took it down to Studio City to Acoustic Image to have Eliot Midwood set it up properly. Eliot is the bomb when it comes to setting up the Well Tempered turn tables correctly.

http://www.acousticimage.com/

So, last night I had Mr. Golden Ears over to get his assessment as well. For a brand new cartridge that had zero hours on it ... all I can say is WOW! This is one naturally musical cartridge that doesn't break the bank. Its everything I liked about the OC9-mk III, but it goes far beyond the OC-9 in every respect.

In a previous post, I talked about the many mono records I own and how good the OC-9 was with the monos. Well, the ART-9 is on steroids. Just amazing on mono recordings.

At under $1100.00 from LP Tunes, its a bargain. The ART-9 surpasses all cartridges I've had in the system before. That would include Dynavectors, Benz, Grado Signatures and a Lyra Clavis that I dearly loved. In fact, its more musically correct than the Clavis. The Clavis was the champ at reproducing the piano correctly ... the ART-9 is equally as good in this area.

Sound stage, depth of image, left to right all there. Highs ... crystalline. Mids ... female and male voices are dead on. Transparency ... see through. Dynamics ... Wow! Low noise floor ... black. Mono records ... who needs stereo?

Your assessment that the ART-9 doesn't draw attention to itself is dead on. You just don't think about the cartridge at all. Not what its doing, or what its not doing ... its just beautiful music filling the room.

Thanks again Pani for the recommendation. I'll keep posting here as the cartridge continues to break in.
128x128oregonpapa
Pani ...

It looks as though you opened up the floodgates for this wonderful cartridge. Thanks again for leading us to it. Mine is completely broken in now ... and my records have never sounded better ... even with much more expensive cartridges.
Oregonpapa, I am waiting for people who are current users of bigger and more expensive cartridges to try it and share their opinions. I have personally experienced it but lets see how many more come up with such experiences.

It is interesting that when I was still hunting around for a "great" cartridge, there were times when I had 2-3 amazing (expensive) cartridges and I was comparing them with an intention of retaining just one. Today even though I am intrigued to compare some expensive carts to the ART9 I have absolutely no drive within to spend my money, time and effort on such an exercise. It feels futile, waste of time. Mind is complicated, when one is satisfied the behaviour is so different.
What is the measurement from stylus tip to the top of the cartridge? I'm thinking about trying one of these on my Rega.
Here are some measurements of ART-9. I got it from Audio Technica:
http://wikisend.com/download/182928/AT-ART9.pdf
Thanks, Pani! 

Will need a shim shim to get it to work on a Rega but no problem for the VPI.

Don't know if anyone has had a chance to compare the ART9 to an upper-level Dynavector like the XX2, but I'd love to hear about it.