the needle scoped and it still had 1/3 of its life left,
but I got a replacement anyway. Had a local shop replace
the leads with shielded cables they swore by. So I hooked
it up. The thing put out maybe half the volume of my CD
player. I had to turn it up very high to get decent gain,
and the midrange was pretty sad.

I replaced the Grado with a Pickering XSV 3000 I happened
to have around (!) and got pretty much the same thing
(with more detail and soundstage of course). Not good.

I am thinking the cable replacement is the culprit. The TT
is clean and works in all other respects. Does anyone have
a recommended cable for this purpose? I appear to need one
with low capacitance. TIA!
crema
An interesting thought- that the ground and signal
might be reversed. I just tried reversing the connection
on one channel and no change.

I wonder has anyone seen a signal drop from such a
reversal before? You'd think if the theory were sound
(if you will), reversing the +/- would always lead
(again if you will) to a signal gain or drop.

Anyway, back to the shop.
To clarify my earlier comment, I was not addressing the possibility that the two connections for one channel are interchanged, as the post by Tanathen78 earlier in the thread had already addressed that. As he indicated, that would result in the two channels being out of phase with each other, which would be perceived as vague and diffuse imaging, and probably also as reduced bass (which in turn might contribute to a perception of reduced volume).

What I was addressing was the possibility that the + wire of one channel might be interchanged with the - wire of the OTHER channel. In other words red interchanged with blue, OR white interchanged with green.

That would result in the center pins of the preamp's RCA inputs for the two channels being connected to each other through one of the cartridge's two coils, with both inputs "floating" (i.e., having no definable voltage or impedance) relative to the preamp's ground.

I don't know what the resulting sonic consequences would be, as they most likely would be dependent on the design of the particular phono stage. But it's certainly safe to say that the sound would be far from normal, and it seems quite conceivable to me that the result could be the very weak volume you have described.

I'm hesitant to suggest that you intentionally introduce that kind of reversal as an experiment, however, because another possible consequence that is conceivable to me would be a loud and potentially destructive hum or oscillation (although being careful with the volume control would PROBABLY eliminate any possibility of harm). That is one reason I suggested checking all of the wiring with a multimeter instead. Hopefully the shop will now do that for you.

Regards,
-- Al
I did try switching the connections to the cartridge
every which way. No dice. So it's back in the shop.
We will see. He did note that it's an original Pickering
cartridge, but I knew that...

Hoping for some good news next weekend. Will report.