most articulate speaker

by design, would the most articulate type of speaker for massed strings and choral music be an electrostatic? I listen more and more to this type of music and am wondering if electrostatics are the way to go.
auralone
The electronics definitely play a big role brought up by Tbg.
Anything sterile in the electronics end with destroy any thought of hearing something articulate sounding.GOOD point!
Auralone,

I own heavily modded Acoustat 2+2s. I've owned and still own cabinet speakers. I've heard many types of speakers in audio shows throughout the years. More recently Wilson Alexandrias on big band and symphonic orchestras at a private house.

You might say Alexandrias cannot be considered reference in this discussion because of their very high price. Truth is, on massive orchestras and choral music, electrostatics are not considered the best. They lack the dynamic punch and quickness to follow heavy loads in some recordings. And when they do, they often do it for a short time before the amps start clipping. I've seen (and heard) Acoustat 6600 speakers overload a Plinius 250 MKIV and Krell KRS 100W class A monoblocs. And they were not playing that loud.

The best combination I've listened to was electrostatics combined with a very good subwoofer by a knowledgeable audiophile who could fine tune the adjustment.

Otherwise, on easier loads like jazz, small orchestras, voices, worl music, electrostats are hard to beat at their price. I haven't heard anything that can satisfy me as much for their their opened sound, complete presence and soundstaging at low to mid volumes. Everything supplying them beeing equal.

Regards !
Given the thin film of the Electrostatics, used as a driver, control is 'easier' to achieve generally speaking. Certainly larger and larger magnets and stiffer cone materials all help in producing conventional loudspeakers. But imho, the Sound Labs 'full range' e'stats, are among the most articulate.
At very low volumes, certain sounds like rainfall, is articulated eerily well. Conversely, if your room is large enough to support the bass output, the correct time and phase of the bass to the uber high frequencies of even, say 'thunder' claps, can sound very accurate.
While neither of these things are music, they portend, to me that the subtleties of a violins higher notes, piccolos, triangles, etc, will likely be more faithfully reproduced.
Certainly well made ribbons do just as well with the upper frequencies, but then the 'blending' of ribbons with other drive elements makes for a slightly more difficult coherence achievement.
Overall, again, the Sound Lab, while not a big market player like some others, is a remarkable achievement.
Good luck, and good listening,

Larry
Lrsky, having owned seven different electrostatics, I tend to agree. I would not two things, however. First, plasma tweeters or even the ill-fated Pass full-range plasma speaker, would be faster. The plasma tweeter is used in many of the Acapella speakers. Second, being a panel driver, electrostatics don't image as well as more point source drivers, which detracts, I think, from the detail they are able to resolve.