Mcintosh C220 vs CJ ET-2

I am getting ready to buy a tube pre-amp to go with my pair of Monarchy SE-100 MK2 monoblocks. These drive NHT VT 2.4 speakers.

I was researching the McIntosh C220 and I went into a store... The guys there reccommended a Conrad Johnson ET-2 over the McIntosh and said it will go better with my speakers and my turntable (MusicHall MMF 5.1 with Goldring 2200 MM cartrige).

They claimed that the Conrad Johnson pre-amps have more defnintion and are true "audiophile" equipment....

Q1. Why is the Conrad Johnson considered audiophile quality and Mcintosh C220 not?

Q2. The price point is similar - so is one truly "better" than the other... I know I know that "depends" on how it sounds in my system... but I am curious to hear what others think...

Thanks in advance for your responses...

-Anu
anuruddhak
So it looks like this is what is coming down to.... I am moving overseas (AUstralia) in the next year, so I will need something that can do both 110v and 240v.

There is no such thing... so I have to rely on the manufacturer to make the conversion for me - otherwise I will be hooking them into a step-down transformer, and I dont trust them... not with a tube amp...

McIntosh wants me to work through their Australian dealer - I contacted those guys and they were not even familiar with what the C220 was!!!

The Conrad Johnson, on the other hand, had people that knew what they were talking about and very familiar with my request.

So I guess that narrows down the field for me...

thanks everyone for your input...
Not to confuse you since you seem to have decided...

I am a Mac fan & love their products. I went down the same route few years ago & was thinking of the c2200. After much contemplation & researech I bought a Supratek Chardonnay & it's made in AUSTRALIA! For the price, looks & performace this is very hard to beat.

You can read tons of discussions on Audiogon itself if you search for 'Preamp Deal of the Century', longest thread on 'gon & leave about 3 months if you plan to read through :)

The only problem though is I think it's not been produced anymore. You may find it second hand or drop the guy a mail when in Aus.

I love it & no regrets at all! Just wanted to share my experience. Good luck.
i used to have an audio research preamp and now I have the Mcintosh c220. I also have a MC275 and I listen to my music a lot. Today for over 8 hours of non fatiging bliss. When I had Audio Research and Levinson, this never happened. Th Mac stuff makes me want to listen to my music. It is that simple. I have never enjoyed my music so much. the C220 is very neutral and not buttery like some of the other tube gear. Anyone who looks at the C220 know it was made for music. The simplicity of the phono stage is probably better than a complicated one. To say that McIntosh equipment is not "audiophile" quality is a joke at best. Sounds more like jealous companies that wish they were McIntosh.