Looking for 50-100 watts of Tube Power (give or take) for my JBL 4349s

I’ve been looking at new and used 50-100 wpc power amps in the $5000 range to drive my JBL 4349s. I don’t have any experience in this price or power bracket when it comes to tubes, and could use some reccomendations.

Here are the amps I’ve been researching (the usual suspects I assume):

Rogue Stereo 100

Cary CAD-120s Mk2

Audio Research Reference 150SE

Audio Research VT80SE

Carver Crimson 275

Various vintage Corad Johnson amps

I’d love to hear why people would choose one of the amps from this list, or what else I should consider that isn’t on the list. I don’t have a preamp yet but will probably try a Benchmark la4 first.

For context, my main amp right now is a Torii Jr, but I also use the 4349s with a Muzishare X7 and a Denon PMA-1700NE. I love the Torii Jr and will continue to use it, but would occasionally like more power. The Muzishare is fine, but I want something of better quality.

My musical tastes are all over the place: rock, pop, jazz, world, electronic, classical. I listen to a lot of symphonic/orchestral music and would like more power to handle the dynamics, but prefer the soundstaging of tubes.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations!

rischa

Check out the custom high power SETs by Apollo Audio Systems.  Small shop with the amps hand made by the designer.  Excellent stuff. He has a 20wpc 811a amp that would be perfect for a 91dB speaker unless you're trying to fill a basketball arena.

Jerry

@rischa    I used the matching VAC preamp which is also going up for sale at TMR with the amp. It's a fully restored VAC Cla1 Mk III tube linestage with Telefunken NOS tubes in it. It has 6 RCA inputs and 2 RCA outputs plus a set of XLR outputs. I am shipping it all to them tomorrow. 

Don Sachs Kootenay is a great amp. 65wpc KT88-6550 goodness. This is a modified VTA 120 which has the best of parts and dual regulated power supplies. Don is partnering now and making an expensive 300B amp now. Heres one listed but its been up for 3-4 months. So it may be sold by now. Surprised if it isn't

Don Sachs Kootenay 120 For Sale - US Audio Mart

I am an Audio Research fan. I would be looking for a VT or REF. I helped a friend put together a system recently and he purchased the VT80s. Outstanding amp. If you can find a used one I highly recommend stretching if required. I have a Ref 160s. They are powerful, carefully tuned to be natural and musical and communicate music naturally.so the bass is full and nuanced. Conrad Johnson is also a great choice.

If you are looking for the bass to quickly slap your chest instantly in single quick wave… then you are probably not looking for tubes. That is a solid state thing.