Limiting a full range driver

My speakers, Reference 3A NEFES, have 2 full range 8" drivers. My question; is it better to limit the frequencies to 100 Hz and higher. My thinking is that the lower, sub 100 Hz signals interfere with the midrange too much with their larger cone movements. Or, is there no benefit to cutting out these frequencies?

koestner

Unless you have larger and very good quality 20-20000 hz full range speakers, offloading the lowest octaves to a proper sub or 2 designed specifically for the task at hand is pretty much always a good move. You just have to choose the right sub(s) for the specific job at hand and do the integration right, which takes a little know-how. Definitely measure before and after in order to do the job right.

miniDSP and UMIK 2 mike is a very good choice. I use that mic with Room EQ Wizard to apply room correction in Roon DSP similarly both in one room with sub and several without. miniDSP is on my list as a potential future experiment in tweaking my sound both optimally and cost effectively.

I do observe that on paper those REF3a’s alone do look pretty full-range capable, depending on room size, with the right amp to enable that. Even then offloading bass to subs properly will allow the amp to not work as hard, theoretically lowering distortion, and that combined with the right powered sub or subs in the mix should yield clearly positive results, if done right.

I am considering a miniDSP SHD Studio, all digital with no converting to analog, and then sending out to 2 DACs (OKTO DAC 8 to main speakers / Schiit Modius to my 2 15" passive subs). Amplifiers are Benchmark AHB2 for mains and a Crown Class D (750 WPC) to the subs. All on AES/EBU and balanced.

Minidsp should do the trick. Their QC is a lil poor. Check if everything is working and get a replacement unit otherwise. If you have pre-existing 15 inch subs for intended use, you may be restricted to crossover no higher than 100ish hz. The specific rythmik sub I was talking about earlier can also serve as a mid bass unit and get down to 20 hz.

Depending on your room and freedom of placement, you could try your large subs at the 1/4, 1/4 and 1/4, 3/4 widthwise, lengthwise locations. With adjustable phase, you should be able to get rid of a lot of problematic room modes and hopefully still not localize anything. If you have 2 subs or more, a read of the Harman paper outlining the virtual sub placement principle could come in handy (as you play with placement).

I have been running full range for many years.  Don't limit the lower crossover at all.  You will get a much better blend and it will be more seamless running full range.  That is the idea of a single driver???

The sub can compliment the system and you will only have to play with the upper cross on the sub and how hard the cut off is.

Finally, if you are finding that your single driver is distorting because you like lots of bass or lots of volume then that is another story.  Most single drivers will fill a room but not rock it.

Dear @koestner  : Yes, doi t and your home system reorduction will shines as even before because what you will doing is to lower the IMD of those 8" drivers. You will have with out any doubt a higher quality performance levels and yes the  high-pass filter must be at 100hz.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.

Funny..I`ve been running my Revel F52`s full range with subs from the start.

I`ve just recently put the Revels closer to the front wall and put the switch in back to the 'Contour' setting and I`m liking what I hear.

The three 'bass' drivers are only 6.5" so this position is sounding cleaner to me.