Lamm L2.1 Reference

Only several old reviews of this preamp. Haven’t heard too much discussed on forums.  Anyone who have owned or own this preamp can give their opinion compared to other preamps in its class? 

dracule1

I hope it's a lot better than the LL2 Deluxe, because that was a big disappointment.

Roxy54, LL2 Deluxe is a completely different in design.  It should sound different.  But what was your issue with it? 

dracule1

I didn't mean to sound glib, and I realize that the 2.1 reference is a different and much more expensive unit, but it just reminded me of my disappointment with the LL2. I was using a solid state Morrison ELAD at the time, and the Lamm was no more liquid or nuanced to my ears, and the dynamics were not as good either. It proved once again that you need to be really careful about trusting reviews. It was just a very lackluster pre in every way, nothing above average. I do know that it was working properly too, because I bought it from a guy in Hawaii and had it shipped directly to Vladimir in Brooklyn for a checkup.