Is there a difference between Linn LP12 lingo 1 vs lingo 2 other than the case?

Is there a difference between Linn LP12 lingo 1 vs lingo 2 other than the case?

Thank you !
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xweiserb
Both zavato and daveyf are correct. Here is a bit more detail. The Lingo 1 was introduced in 1990 and was modified for safer operation in 1995 around serial number 10000. The Lingo 2 was introduced in early 2001, serial number 614522 on, and was the same circuit as the Lingo 1 in a larger Linn LK chassis. In Fall 2001 the main circuit board was significantly reworked using SMD's, serial number 656968 on, which resulted in better sound quality. The Lingo 3 is the same updated board in the newer Linn AV chassis.

I think we need to acknowledge that the Lingo 4 that is the current version of the Lingo is far beyond the earlier versions in terms of Musicality. If you are considering buying a used Lingo version 1 through 3, do not give any more than $700-$900 because the Lingo 4 is 80% of the musicality performance jump of the much more expensive Radikal upgrade. The Lingo 4 is $2100 and transformed my Lingo 1 into a very serious analog front end not to mention that every blessed one of my records have an openness and musicality to a degree that just wasn't there before.

You will NOT have the same TT as you did before when you move up to the version 4.

I wasn't expecting this kind of improvement without having to buy the Radikal.

And you get a new motor with the Lingo 4.

@robob  Lingo 4 is contained in a much thinner box (slimline) than any of the other Lingo's. 

Have to agree with @dfarmer - the lingo 4 is a massive and impressive improvement over my prior lingo 1.

And as @daveyf said- the 4 is in a very slim box. Google it and you’ll see it looks unlike anything else Linn. Linn “split” the lingo by housing part of the circuitry on a board that fits within the turntable (think valhalla) and the rest of the circuitry in an external box. There are 2 other ways the lingo 4 is a significant departure from earlier lingos- the 4 uses a 12v motor while previously a 120v motor was used and the 4 does use a tach for servo control as does the Radikal (but in a way different from the typical direct drive scheme). Since it is a synchronous motor its speed is locked in both by line frequency which is tightly regulated and the tach. It’s a built in redundancy.