Inconsistency in System

I am experiencing a rather large degree of inconsistency in the quality of the sound from my system day to day or even within the day at different times. At times rich, warm, inviting....other times veiled, harsh and way bright. My hunch is this is power related but am not sure. Does anyone have a suggestion on what might be causing this variability and if so, what I might do to correct problem?

System Components
Wadia 3200 Transport
Musical Fidelity TriVista21 DAC
Audio Research SP16 MK II Preamp
Musical Fidelity A308 Amp
Magnepann 3.6R speakers
Transparent Ultra interconnects
Transparent Music Wave Super Speaker Cables
path7man
I find that my systems sound changes a lot from recording to recording. I put it down to the quality of the recordings I am listening to.
Xplastic, I am absolutely not making fun of you or trying to be cute. It really is the first time I heard of a cord change making a measurable difference. That's very interesting and will be added to my bag of memories I carry forward on the road to audio nirvana. The resistance in that cord must have been pretty large (current = voltage divided by resistance) and, normally, short lengths of different gauges that are reasonably close to one another don't make that big a difference. Thanks for taking the time to expand on the point.
Hi again...Sorry Ozfly if I seem defensive..it's hard to tell what people mean on the computer vs. in person. I didn't think there would be a difference between my 2 cords. In fact I only noticed the sound of my gear was funny at first, very similar to what Path7man was saying. It was not consistant even in the ways that it sounded bad each time I turned on my system. It was a few days later that I noticed my powercenter current draw lights were -.5 amps. The aftermarket PC was just as thick as the original and worked well on my preamp and CDP. That's why I took the time to throw my 2 cents in here...it was the similarity. To be honest ..it was my last ditch effort before I gave up on my problem and sent my amp for repairs. I did not really think It would work but the readout on the powercenter pushed me towards it thank goodness. BTW the Stealth HAC PC that I got to permanently replace my originaly cord made a noticeable difference on my gear in terms of sound. I think it must be the way it grounded and/or shielded.
Slv is pretty much right on the money. Nearly every, if not every, system will sound better during late night listening for at least the following reasons:

1. The system is probably getting more juice because most everything else in the house is shut down.

2. Less noise in the lines due to other appliances and motorized funtions and dimmers.

3. If your listening room has much sunlight coming it, the glare and/or brightness has a way of affecting your mood toward what you hear. Especially if it's bright behind the speakers.

4. Listening later at night, there are less noises in the house that can be disturbing and one generally is more relaxed anyway.

And every system should benefit sonically from proper line conditioning because all AC power has much noise and all digital will generate digital noise back into the lines and service panel thereby contaminating the other components.

The trick here of course is to stay away from poorly designed or mediocre line conditioners.

-IMO
Sounds electrical to me. Night time is the right time. Your system deserves some quality electric. There are a host of threads on power conditioners and audiophoolish opining, mine included, of course, on excellent power conditioners. Depending on the area: electric nirvanna is attainable. And what it'll do for your system is quite amazing...Can be costly, though.. peace, warren