Harbeth again…or other speakers for acoustic music?

Hi!

I’ve been without any decent hifi setup for a few years now but lately had the thoughts of investing in a good system again. Let me tell you little about my background and what I’m searching for. I live in a place far from any hifi-stores, I’ve not so much experience of listening to a lot of different systems or visiting hifi shows, but I’ve been playing music myself, mostly jazz, for about 20 years and have been in many performances both as musician and as audience.

About 5 years ago I first bought a pair of Harbeth P3 second hand along with a Rega amp. Pretty soon I wanted something bigger in scale so I swapped the speakers for a pair of 30.1 and the amp for a Croft 25/7 combo. The sound was really really good in so many ways, best sound and midrange I’ve ever heard before! Even though my apartment back then was not optimal with concrete walls the vocals was very lifelike. But after a while I feeling somehow that something was missing. I’m no bass junkie or so but I was tempted to try something that had little more depth and covered the bass region better, so I was started looking at SHL5+ and C7ES3. I also thought about integration some subs but never tried that route. Swapped the 30.1 for C7 but I was immediately disappointed. I never got them to sound good at my place. I thought they lacked the magic I felt 30.1 had.

I ended up selling all my gear, but the sound of 30.1 and Croft combo really etched back in my mind. It was more emotional to listen to music as I ever before had experienced. I prefer listen to acoustic music, jazz, small groups ensembles but occasional big band and some lighter pop, but looking for something that excells with vocals and acoustic instruments. It can absolutely be little on the warmer sound, I can’t stand harsh and cold sound.

So now I’m looking for a system again and would like to hear what suggestions you have. I listen to low to modest volumes. No heavy rock or metal. I need something that can play good on low volume. HE speakers and a SET amp would be an alternative but also is Harbeth. I know there’s 30.2 now and XD. Integrating with subs could be Ok. My living room is about 15x12 feet and the speakers cannot be to big and dominant, ex Quad ESL is not an option. There is a few softer walls and I think 1 concrete wall.

Happy to hear your thoughts..

philsons

@bilitz Thank you for commenting. Interesting to hear. Did you find it difficult to integrate the sub? And where do you place it, near speakers or some distance away?

It was not difficult to integrate. I have it off to one side of the speakers near a corner of the room. 

@philsons

for what its worth , I listen to pretty much 100% classical and a little Jazz. Was a long term ( 10+ years) M30 and M40.1 owner both great... as all Harbeths .

my room is around 16’x 14’ but after leaving Harbeths the speaker which I’ve had now for around 6 years that overall have given me the most satisfaction and pleasure in just listening to the music! are the very well regarded long in production but still rather esoteric Finnish made ’Gradient Revolutions ’( in my case the ’active’ versions).

As they’ve only just been replaced by a rather radical redesign of the enclosures

the originals ( which looks wise at least I prefer) can now be found used for really good prices.( they’ve always been well priced even at retail as they have no ’fancy veneers etc to worry about .

Gradient themselves now offer fully serviced ’used’ examples from their website and can ship direct. ...you can thank me later : )

@philsons 

I did add a sub to my 30.2’s, I never felt I was missing much before I got it, but of course the sub did fill out the sound. I got the 10 inch JLAudio sub, plenty for me. 
Someone mentioned Totems, very different sounding then the Harbeth, I owned the Totem bookshelfs before the Harbeth and really enjoyed them. Very good sounding for the money on all types of music.