Handling Heavy Amps

There are several amps I’m interested in possibly purchasing but I’m dissuaded because of their weight. I’ve had lower back issues so I need to be careful. I live alone. Even if my wife was still alive she would not have been able to help much. Also Children live far. I see that many of you have these 60-100 pound behemoths and I wonder how do you manage. If I buy from my dealer he’ll load it in my SUV. However when I get home it will be difficult to get it out and onto the garage floor where I can place it on my handcart. Then when I get it next to my rack I need to maneuver it out of the box and up onto the rack. I guess I would need to see if my dealer would deliver it and place it on the rack. Probably for a fee. So that may work. But then if I need to paint, move furniture, resell the unit whatever I would need help. I think I can handle up to 40lbs. So how do you handle these amps? Is it a concern for you?  I’m spoiled by my Benchmark 12 lb AHB2. It’s also the reason I’ve been investigating Class D amps. 

jfrmusic

My dilemma now is that while I really enjoyed this sound presentation it wasn’t significantly better to my ears than the Bryston that would justify twice the price  So I will struggle with this decision  If it was around $9 or $10k instead of $14k I’d probably go for it as it would be close to the Bryston at $7,800

@jfrmusic Here is a poorly understood fact: High end audio is not driven by price, its driven by intention. That is why a less expensive component is able to be better than a more expensive component, sometimes one that might be multiples of price more. Not in all cases depending on the intention of the designers of the components in question.

Seems to me you have your answer on this one. I don't seen any dilemma or downside.

Here's another thing to be aware of: the Veblen Effect.

This is the idea that if you pay more, you're getting greater value, which is not always the case- in fact it tends to be a blind spot.

So ignore the price- that has nothing to do with it.

Well you have a point but I usually go with my gut instincts. I tried to convince myself that the Accuphase was not worth the additional cost but deep down I know it was the best amp I’ve auditioned and I really liked its sound characteristics. I would purchase it if it was the lower priced component. So I called the dealer back this morning and told him my dilemma and after a brief discussion he gave me a great deal that included delivery and setup.  And he’s 90 minutes from me. I can usually tell when I make the right instinctive decision. I feel exceptionally calm after and full of anticipation. My search for my amplifier is completed. Expecting delivery of the Accuphase P-4600 sometime in late April. It’s allotted to the next shipment from Japan. 

@atmasphere

You bring up a good point, which hopefully is not poorly understood. It is certainly worth highlighting. Absolutely different designers / companies have vastly different sonic objectives…. Like Wilson, B&W, Conrad Johnson, MacIntosh, and Luxman… all very different objectives. Random choosing would be foolish.

So, you are very right that if do not first choose from companies / models that share your values in sound, you can then spend more and get less. But if you first make sure you are shopping from the right group of companies then typically a larger investment will net you much better sound. So, for me, I’d be comparing Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, and VAC… as each have design objectives in line with my values.

OP,

Congrats on making a decision, and getting a great price from a nearby source, always a wonderful thing.

80 lb box; 66 lbs amp, only 50% above your goal. I imagine the dealer will come and set it up for you initially, and you can pay them like a service call to move it for you if needed.

You will be glad, you got the best!