Garrard 301 - Project

I have been contemplating for a while which turntable to pursue given so many choices. Every time I look around, I just can’t help drooling over a fully restored Garrard 301 or 401. Aside from being an idler-drive, I keep reading and hearing about their unique ability to reproduce music with its sense of drive and impact thus making them very desirable to own. And with available meticulous restoration services and gorgeous plinth options, what’s not to like, right!

Would you please share your experience, good and pitfalls (if any) with a restored Garrard 301 to avoid before I go down this path.

And what about the IEC inlet and power cord, would they be of any significance. My two choices would be Furutech FI-09 NCF or FI-06 (G) inlets.

I have already purchased a Reed 3P Cocobolo 10.5” with Finewire C37+Cryo tonearm/interconnect phono cable with KLEI RCA plugs option.

Still exploring Cart Options, so please feel free to share your choice of cart with Garrard 301 or 401.

And lastly, I would like to extend my gratitude to @fsonicsmith, @noromance ​​​​@mdalton for the inspiration.

128x128lalitk

what a cool and interesting thread….even civil… i even enjoy the lew / Pindac banter jousting…

Congrats on the Koetsu. I’ve recently made similar plunge w Urushi Black. I also recommend buying the excellent book on the art on the namesake : The Arts of Honami Koetsu: Japanese Renaissance Master

A positive vote for the @slaw MyMat….. again as Brian points out IF you must or want one… Hopefully Steve has a few left.

IMO and experience, your CORE rack should be excellent. I use HRS Vortex footers… but under a bespoke plinth for a DD Denon….aghast…

Finally, I keep…. waiting for the leavings from the @noromance graveyard SALE…. ha I would like first right of refusal on that near worthless, inferior, KORF headshell…..

oh…. and so far on several projects, not including a 401… i’ve found Panzerholtz to be wonderful…. 

@tomic601 Jim, I may have taken liberty with the actuality of the Graveyard! It is conceptual in intent. Korf were good enough to accept the return. As was Audio Sensibility.  I do have the SPH copper platter mat among the usual assortment of tubes, cables, old turntables, amps, etc.

ha…. just messing w ya…. wonderful to hear that about the Korf… ;-)

OP,

Congrats on making a decision, should be a winner! The custom plinths are gorgeous.

Are you going for one or two tonearms?

Me, almost done reading the Jazz Encylopedia, more Mono LP’s are in my future!

Personally, if they didn't begin making it, I would ask the maker to increase the 2 arm plinth just enough to fit a rectangular dust cover on/around the tonearms when in their rests, leaving some wood and the 4 curved corners outside of the cover.. 'on' the plinth keeps the dust cover smaller and lighter than covering the whole plinth.

In any case, I’m sure you will love it.