Garrard 301 - Project

I have been contemplating for a while which turntable to pursue given so many choices. Every time I look around, I just can’t help drooling over a fully restored Garrard 301 or 401. Aside from being an idler-drive, I keep reading and hearing about their unique ability to reproduce music with its sense of drive and impact thus making them very desirable to own. And with available meticulous restoration services and gorgeous plinth options, what’s not to like, right!

Would you please share your experience, good and pitfalls (if any) with a restored Garrard 301 to avoid before I go down this path.

And what about the IEC inlet and power cord, would they be of any significance. My two choices would be Furutech FI-09 NCF or FI-06 (G) inlets.

I have already purchased a Reed 3P Cocobolo 10.5” with Finewire C37+Cryo tonearm/interconnect phono cable with KLEI RCA plugs option.

Still exploring Cart Options, so please feel free to share your choice of cart with Garrard 301 or 401.

And lastly, I would like to extend my gratitude to @fsonicsmith, @noromance ​​​​@mdalton for the inspiration.

128x128lalitk

@noromance

Thanks, my tone arm is Reed 3P - 10.5” with Cocobolo arm wand.

@fsonicsmith

I thought about aftermarket bearing and platter but my dealer suggested that I should hear ‘stock’ 301 first and then start tweaking the TT with aftermarket parts. The upgrade like bearing appears to be a no brainer. I do not know at this time how much a platter would enhance the performance. Is Dobbins platter still available or is it pretty much unobtainable?

@lalitk I’m inferring from the sable color that you are buying your 301 from Matthew Taylor. Re virgin stock units, he’s been supplying Audiosilente idlers on newer refurbished units. Do you know if yours will have one fitted? I would also check with him to ensure both upper AND lower idler bearings are replaced.

What plinth did you go for? Apologies if you’ve already stated it above.

“I’m inferring from the sable color that you are buying your 301 from Matthew Taylor. ”

@noromance 

Correct. As per my dealer, I am getting a fully restored 301. I entrusted my dealer for this project. He has helped shaped my system for past 5 years. He has been nothing short of a blessing in my journey to achieve an exemplary listening experience. 

As far as plinth goes, I went with Piano Walnut Burl finish. I tried to post the link but got blocked. If you scroll up, @elliottbnewcombjr posted a link to the eBay seller. 

what a cool and interesting thread….even civil… i even enjoy the lew / Pindac banter jousting…

Congrats on the Koetsu. I’ve recently made similar plunge w Urushi Black. I also recommend buying the excellent book on the art on the namesake : The Arts of Honami Koetsu: Japanese Renaissance Master

A positive vote for the @slaw MyMat….. again as Brian points out IF you must or want one… Hopefully Steve has a few left.

IMO and experience, your CORE rack should be excellent. I use HRS Vortex footers… but under a bespoke plinth for a DD Denon….aghast…

Finally, I keep…. waiting for the leavings from the @noromance graveyard SALE…. ha I would like first right of refusal on that near worthless, inferior, KORF headshell…..

oh…. and so far on several projects, not including a 401… i’ve found Panzerholtz to be wonderful….