FIM 880 AC Outlet-- Best tweak I've ever heard

Summary: Friday morning I installed a FIM 880 AC outlet. This receptacle is made of high purity copper with ceramique insulation. I plugged my amp into it and was treated to the best music I have ever heard in my stereo system-- rich, warm, natural and beautiful.

Story: Last Oct. I got Vandersteen 5 speakers. In preparation for them, I had to go to 15 ft. ICs, short speaker cables, and Syn. Res. Master Couplers for the powered subs in the speakers, and a 14 ft. Master Coupler to reach from amp to a dedicated outlet. I also put in 3 Acme silver plated outlets, two went in non-dedicated circuits for the speaker subs, and the other was put on a dedicated line for my amp. So, I had to break-in or burn-in a lot of different "stuff" at the same time-- not the best way to do it, but to put the amp between speakers, I had to go this route.

I immediately liked the V5 speakers and even though they were very revealing, somewhat bright, and somewhat lean, I expected all the new wires and speakers to mellow as they broke in, and they did smooth out greatly over a 30 day period, and have continue to improve even now. But, even though very smooth and non-fatiging, they were still very revealing and brighter than I prefer.

I considered everything but most suspected the 15 ft. Syn. Res. silver/copper active shielded ICs, but to correct that would be expensive, and I didn't know what to replace them with anyway. I also remembered that the Acme outlets were silver plated, and of course silver has a reputation of being fast, bright, detailed, zippy, clean etc. But recently another A'Gon member, Eagle, recommended the FIM outlet so I bought one-- not cheap at $70. either.

Immediately after exchanging the Acme outlet for the FIM for my amp, I listened to some well known music. To be honest, it was a "jaw dropping" experience (and I seldom "gush"), Alison Krauss' vocals became warm, rich, immediate, live, natural, seductive. Timbral richness is now incredible. I had also just gotten 3 XRCDs and on Thursday night, (with Acme outlet) could only say the XRCDs were very revealing but that's all. But Friday with the FIM outlet, the Jacintha XRCD2 "Autumn Leaves, The Music of Johnny Mercer", music became truly breathtaking. It had ALL the positive characteristics I've noted above, and most of all was beautiful, natural, musical.

The same thing happened with the XRCD Robert Lucas "Luke and the Locomotives"-- a hard driving Blues/Rock CD. With the change of outlets, piano sounded like piano (it was glassy before in the treble range), a Fender Strat at full scream now sounds "right", and soft acoustic guitar was better than I've ever heard. But vocals was where the magic really was-- Jacinth's voice was rich, warm, natural, and "in the room with me".

This review is not meant to critisize Acme outlets, as in a dark sounding system, they may be "just right-- they are fast smooth and detailed once broken in. BUT IN MY SYSTEM-- well, the FIM has transformed it-- I admit to a definite preference for a warm, rich, sweet presentation, and I have FINALLY found it with a simple outlet change. Also, my Vandersteen 5s now sound like Vandersteen speakers.

If my house were burning down, and there was only one of these FIM outlets in existence, I'd save my wife, the cat, and the FIM outlet. The FIM 880s are "Dyno-Supreme", IMO. Sorry for the long-winded gushing, but I wanted to share this 4 month journey and experience with A'Gon brethern, and I also needed an "outlet" for my excitment;>) I've gotta' quit! Any comments/questions are welcome. CHEERS. Craig
garfish
Hi Rcrump; two years ago I had a dedicated AC system put in (copper Hubbell audio grade outlets) and initally it was much, much too bright with the stock power cords (maybe it just needed time to breakin?), so I auditioned (Redkiwi's advice) seven name brand power cords in the $200. to $1000. range. Of the seven, the Syn. Res. Master Couplers were the best of the bunch and they got rid of the brightness completely, and over time, I added them to all my components.

It was only in Oct. 2001 that I put in the Acme silver plated outlet for my amp, and as noted made several other system changes too-- it was difficult to sort out. Well, for my system anyway, the Acme was not a good choice. But I do not consider the SR Master Couplers to be inherently bright, in fact just the opposite, and I don't consider the Acme outlets to be inherently "bad"-- but in my system, they are too bright. The Acmes are very smooth, detailed, and fast and I would recommend them for a darkish, overly warm, or "slow sounding" system. I'm glad they work well for you. Cheers. Craig
Craig and Bruce, thanks for sharing your experiences here. I am so glad both of you have found an outlet that seems to be the last word in terms of what you are looking for. When a system is at the level that yours are, such a product is truly a gift. Wresting the last bit of goodness from systems that seemingly cannot be improved upon.

I am currently breaking in a new pair of speakers, but once that is done, I should definitely give the FIM outlet a try in my new listening room. To be honest, I still have not gotten over the improvement the room itself has presented me.

Take care,
Joe
Everyone,

We'd bought two Fim Audio Outlets for 20 amp dedicated lines and installed them in our system and after a long break in the change in nothing short of amazing. The music is smoother with more air, staging inprovements with no minuses.

We highly recommed this product as one of the most cost effective ($55*2+installation) changes for the system.

These were puchased at Galen Carol (NFI)

Al
Would the FIM 880 outlet make an improvement for a power conditioner such as Equi=Tech Q2?
Lak; I'm not "hands on" familiar with the Equi=Tech Q2, but it's my guess that any component will take on the sonic signature of whatever it's plugged into. If you want more warmth, richness, and fullness then the FIM 880 may do that. OTOH, if you want more speed, detail, and a brighter presentation, then the ACME silver plated job may be better.

But in either case, if you have a fairly high resolution system, I'd bet you'd certainly hear a difference in whichever you chose, and it would be up to you to decide which you prefer. Good Luck. Craig