Does a taste for high end audio, also carry over into your other interests?

I would guess there are some where high-end audio may be somewhat different than their interest or investment into "other" things.  From myself and my audiophile friends, there seemed to be interest in food, cameras, computers and even into musical instruments and architecture/house design/interior design.  

My question is, what else in your life gets the same attention and would some consider you "esoteric" in your choices?  Of my two closest audiophile friends, one is into other things such as his home and interior design, cameras, foods, travel...and more... and my other close friend could care less about gourmet anything or the design/style of his home/furnishings, etc.  so his interest in the high-end/audiophile world is more defined than some "other" things.    Just kind of an open ended thought.  In education some friends have pondered the idea of selective intelligence vs. global intelligence/awareness.  Gosh, this is starting to should like an article out of Psycho Today. 

In all cases with my friends and myself, the greatest interest is in family and friends...and those are the people we enjoy sharing the stereo/music with.  Hope all have a great holiday season. 

whatjd
Post removed 
Optics.  Viewing optics.  Alpha brand optics.  Zeiss SF 8X42 & 8X32T* binoculars, Nikon 14X42 Stabileyes IS binos, Swarovski BTX mounted to 95mm objective, Swarovski carbon fiber professional tripod w/matching pro head.  

An inventory of lesser quality, yet respectable binos, monoculars, tripods and Zeiss spotting scopes.
Guitars
Murano art glass
Persian rugs
Photographic equipment
Cars

Always somewhere to spend money...
@whatjd ,

Possessions, what are they good for?

They can’t love you back, they can’t stave off death, and they can’t restore health.

But they can help keep your inner child alive, and that’s important. Really important.

I used to be so clingy to stuff, keeping it in as good a condition as I could. I even got to the point of storing old Marvel comics in individual plastic bags.

Eventually it dawned on me that it was a futile process, doomed to fail. I could preserve my stuff, but not my body - a fact that slowly became increasingly obvious as I entered my 50s. And of course health must always come first. Yours and your loved ones.

Even worse I had got to know some mainly older people (mostly men, but a few women too) who seemed to be in serious danger of running out of living space in their homes due to the accumulation of various artefacts that they had collected over the years, some which were rare and valuable.

One dude had an awesome collection of classic Doctor Who memorabilia, first editions - many signed by cast members!

In the end he had to get rid of most of it upon the insistence of his wife to be. I’ve not seen him for a few years, but I hope he feels it was worth it. A necessary part of growing up.

Of course you should never ever grow up completely. Just enough to survive and prosper. So if it’s a super duper turntable, a dream car, or a collection of Steve Ditko’s art, or sharp suits, whatever, you certainly should go for it - if it’s practical.

I remember once watching an interview with a Japanese film director who spoke directly and candidly told his audience to get as many orgasms as they could whilst they could. He went on to elaborate just how awful it was to still have the desire but no longer the means.

I forgot his name but definitely a good man.
Great thread-thanks.  Audio reproduction, better and better has been a never ending hobby/quest for 40+ years and I am thrilled where I am with the two channel system I listen to. 

But the love of fine art has overcome (by twice) the expenditures I've made on audio with (30) oil originals in the listening room alone, along with bronzes, art glass, pastels, etc. These things of artistic/expressive beauty give me pleasure on a daily basis and will as long as I live.

Books are also a pleasure and although most I read are historical fiction, one great historical author is David McCullough. And not to laugh, reading Crime and Punishment was a wonderful experience (as were War and Peace, The Brothers Karamazov, etc.).

Of course excellent quality and fine engineering in various devices appeals. Fine optics like telescopes (not mine per se) sure do appeal as well. I do like motorcycles (not so much culture with those) and still have five around that are a hoot to ride.

My "low end":  cars (merely transport except for my wife's Miata). Clothing is high end for outdoor gear but low end for fashion and daily wear (I simply don't care).

It is very interesting to hear where other members have interests and additional hobbies. Of course, had I more shekels, I'd sure love a nice handling modern sports car...and new amps and...