Did Amir Change Your Mind About Anything?

It’s easy to make snide remarks like “yes- I do the opposite of what he says.”  And in some respects I agree, but if you do that, this is just going to be taken down. So I’m asking a serious question. Has ASR actually changed your opinion on anything?  For me, I would say 2 things. I am a conservatory-trained musician and I do trust my ears. But ASR has reminded me to double check my opinions on a piece of gear to make sure I’m not imagining improvements. Not to get into double blind testing, but just to keep in mind that the brain can be fooled and make doubly sure that I’m hearing what I think I’m hearing. The second is power conditioning. I went from an expensive box back to my wiremold and I really don’t think I can hear a difference. I think that now that I understand the engineering behind AC use in an audio component, I am not convinced that power conditioning affects the component output. I think. 
So please resist the urge to pile on. I think this could be a worthwhile discussion if that’s possible anymore. I hope it is. 

chayro
Post removed 

I have a relative who grows singing birds, always trying to find the 'best' singing one, some he raises from eggs up, some he catches in the wild and than breed them with domestic ones, all in almost desperate trail to find that ever illusive 'perfect' song. He is no alone in that endeavour and has a  bunch of friends who  also meets up, listen to each others birds and of course bitter argue about which bird sings the best. As far as I know, nobody knows exactly how should the 'best' bird song should sound and yet, they are very passionate about it. It is apsurd in a way and if I did not know of audiophile world I would look them as a group of weirdos. Now, why I am writing all this? If you stop and think for a moment, there should be no reason why anybodys opinion about bird song or something trivial as hi fi (or anything else) should spoil your feeling or joy about it. Writing bitter posts or aguing, or even giving second thought about it is a total waste of time, isnt it? 

I would say that ASR has not changed my mind about much, certainly not on the SQ of boxes I know well, but it has reinforced my impression that applying a dusting of science and absolute assertions to incomplete (or worse) experiments will persuade a lot of people.

I did have a greater respect for those who bother to measure everything, based largely on my own laziness, until ASR got me to look at how far from complete (or even fair) much of what passes for wisdom on that side of the fence seems to me

to be. I was less thus dismissive until ASR encouraged me to read carefully: I came to listen & learn - and stayed to scoff.

Ignorant dont know what means "psycho-acoustic" concepts...

Then they pit themselves one against the others with half truths worst than lies...

Simple...

The more aggressive they are, and there is aggressive minds in the two side, the more ignorant they are...

Search for the word "psycho-acoustic"...And the feud will be over for those with a brain...

By the most basic psycho-acoustic principle there is an ORDER : the listening subject matter more and come first over the measurements of any kind, be it acoustic or electronical or mechanical...Especially in small room acoustic which is an art based on science...

Once this is said thinking that because we like listening to a piece of gear it is enough to go from it to higher quality sound experience is illusory and without foundation at the end... We must also know and understand why we like it...It is a process called learning how to listen...Buying gear dont replace acoustic experiments...Buying pacoustic panels is not enough at all... Sorry to spell this unconvenient truth...

«There is no subject nor any object before the act of thinking» Anonymus philosopher

Jjss49-ah, you are a gullable sheep that doesn’t use your ears nor your brain, no wonder you like ASR and the clown in the WH.

I’ve only watched snippets of ASR because he’s hard to watch. I watched the video where he went after GR Research which he looked like a fool, the other times, he wanted to promote a cheap product and wanted to degrade a more expensive product. In all audio equipment, there are a few measurements that I look at before I buy to see if they would be a synergy fit with my other gear, I would never use measurements to try to determine what a piece would sound like because you can’t. Nobody can tell me what is the difference in sound quality if 1 product has .005 distortion compared to 1 that has .0005? Tube gear measures much worse the SS gear but prefer the sound of tubes.

The only measurement I need to determine if I like the sound is what my ear tells me