Dedicated mains supply unexpected result

I have a dedicated consumer unit supplying my Hifi as I know a lot of audio enthusiasts have. It was installed a couple of years ago and has rendered excellent sound quality.

l recently had my house electrics checked out and the electrician said I should install a heavier cable from the house mains inlet. It was rated at 70 amps and it should be 25mm sq, 100 amps. The copper cable in both cases is the standard UK domestic quality.

The replacement work has been carried out, however the sound quality has deteriorated, less powerful bass and a shrillness added to higher frequencies. Neither of these issues existed with the original supply cable. Nothing else has been changed in the system.

Anyone experienced this phenomenon?

dctom

From what you're describing the amplifier is not working correctly  after the mains cable was replaced from the meter to the panel. Call the electrician back and explain the amplifier is not working correctly and can he please check over his work. From what you describe, the voltage is sagging when the amplifier is being presented with a low impedance load call from the speaker.

I suspect he didn't torque down a connection lug at the panel or at the meter pan. If that is the case, it is a fire hazard and must be addressed immediately.

I'm not totally sure I understand. But if the electrician installed a heavier gauge wire to your system, it may be a cable break in issue.

ozzy

As an Electrician, I can say cable size increases with the demand on a new house service. The old houses were 70 amp, then the standard was 100 amp, now we are at 200 amp.That is a lot of load, at the same time the houses are becoming mansions and the demand is there for a large residential service. Huge panel boxes are installed due to code changes, damn near everything thing gets it's own breaker.

One thing that never changes is ohm's law. Fact a larger conductor has less resistance and allows more current to flow causing less heat on the conductor. The same amperage on a smaller conductor causes heat and breaks down the insulation causing fires.

Residential installations are  considered a single phase setup, 2 hot conductors a neutral wire and a ground wire. By adding new larger cable, that should not have cause any issues to your audio system in any way. At that position the new cable is most likely a better copper, and has way better insulation.

The neutral and ground conductors should be isolated from each other throughout the entire house the come back together in the breaker box, they are bonded there. Depending on how old your main breaker box is, there may have been something the electrician had to do to get the larger conductors to terminate. The new cables may not have fit in the original lugs, he may have had to change them? That alone should not have caused any issues.