Cogent horns

Count me among those who have to say that the Cogent field-coil horn system is the single most realistic (and satisfying) speaker system I have heard. The system at RMAF 2006, powered by Welborne 45 (top) and 300B (bass) SETs, was *literally* jaw-dropping (for me).

(For whatever reason - I was not impressed to the same level the next year, in the very large conference room. Perhaps there is something about near(er) field listening these things. By all rights the Welborne room was *way* too small, but they sounded fabulous to me and many others.)

They are far beyond my price range.

How do the Classic Audio speakers with field coil drivers compare? And how come I see no mention at all of field coil options on Classic's site, including no pricing info? (I'm sure they're beyond me as well but just curious.)
paulfolbrecht
Thanks for the links, Macrojack. There is good information on horns. However, I still don't see anything that discusses the cone vs. tractrix sound. I'll do some googling.

Perhaps the answers I'm looking for will only come with hearing the difference between my current tractrix horns and some conical horns. The ante to play at that table is a bit stiff. :-)
Dan - Bill can answer your questions. 1-705-696-2092

I hunted around for info for some time before I found him and he answered my questions without a sales pitch and without dissing anyone else. He will tell you about shortcomings and compromises in all designs including his own. You'll enjoy the experience.
There is a discussion on the sound of conical horns vs. LeCleach, which is a kind of extreme version of the tractrix, so you might find it of interest, at the OMA Forum under General Speakers.
Thanks, Jonathan. I've probably read it but I'll do so again. I suppose OMA is even closer to me than Ontario, and I don't own a passport. ;-)

BTW, did you guys do any experimenting with different driver opening sizes? Like 1" vs. 2"?
I joined the forum. Any forum with at thread on Romy has to be great! :-) :-)