Chord Dave and lInear power supply

I had been using Chord Dave and Mscaler for 3 years.

I installed linear power supply by Farad which cost me around 3k Euros including three separate power supplies.

Wow it is worth every penny.

I get more clear separation of each instrument with more tuneful bass.

Also slight sibilance is  gone.

It is Dave +. after modification.

If you own Dave, you had better try it.

The installation is rather handy.

You need to follow instruction.

Thomas

128x128shkong78

@shkong78 ​​​​and @nkj 

Your listening impressions with the LPS change makes plenty of sense to me. I’m hard pressed to think of a case when improving the power supply quality did not result in better sound quality. 

I don’t know why the Chord Dave would be an exception to this type of outcome. I suppose if it was believed that its stock power supply could not be further upgraded/improved. I don’t know what evidence is there to support that idea. Power supply quality is crucial for achieving higher sonic performance.

Charles 

If you decide to upgrade your DAC’s power supply do yourself a favour and also upgrade the 5V USB line on a separate rail. You’ll be pleasantly surprised

@rshad0000  I know you will be impressed.

It's not debatable and not a nuance- its obvious.

While isolating the 5V line is a good idea- too much surgery for this DAC I'm capable of doing it but not interested in attacking the board on a product of this level.

Many of my audio experiments over the years have been power supplies- when you get them correct - there is always a positive difference in my experience.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone!  I should receive the PSU the week after next.  I’m looking forward to trying it out.

After 4 weeks of burn in, Dave with Farad three power supplies, sounds more detailed and powerful but without slight sibilance which bothered me before.

I am happy with this mod and trying some power cables on three power supplies.

Although Dave with Farad will not reach level of Ideon Absolute yet, but it is close.

After attending Pacific Audio fest, I can not make decision what my next Dac upgrade will be.

Wadax sounds perfect but too expensive with 200k $ or more price tag.

Lampi Horizon and Ideon Absolute are pretty good for the money.

But after having been happy with modified Dave., I may not go for Horizon or Absolute since the improvement will be marginal.

Thomas