Buying Used Equipment on the Internet

Hello all, 

Had a question for the more experienced hi-fi enthusiasts here. I'm new to this hobby and currently still trying out new gear to see what I like. I was looking into trying out the Parasound Halo Hint 6 amplifier and found a used one through AudioMart. 

My question is: what advice would people have for buying used equipment online? The pricing is attractive but there's also no option for returns once the transaction goes through. What's to stop someone from offloading a lemon on to an unsuspecting buyer?

Thanks!

aamiransari

"The Music Room" Well known online retailer of new and used equipment.

Also, Music Direct often has open box (returned) and even used equipment.

Same with Upscale Audio in L.A.

The Parasound Hint 6 is a great integrated amplifier. I added one to my system a couple years ago.

I've been cautious about buying used gear as well. Like others have pointed out here, The Music Room is a reputable company to buy new and used gear from. I can recommend them. 

Any time you buy something in a private sale between individuals, there is an amount of risk inherent in the process.

I have purchased most of my equipment used. Mostly on Canuck Audio Mart.

No significant issues whatsoever.

That being said, make sure the buyer has some history of buying and selling on whatever site you are using and that his reviews are positive.