Buying Bookshelves, I love B&W but....

my experience is that the mids are a bit compressed, less open and detailed. I really like the imaging, highs, lows, fullness, stage pres etc. As well as design and build. Is this a common problem in bookshelves, obvious size limitations? Seems to be an issue with the old S3 series, new 600 and CM1. Should I demo floor standing models or consider 700 or 800 series bookshelves? Or is this simply one of the characteristics of B&W?
Demo'd with Rotel, NAD, MacIntsosh integrateds.
mcb
Thanks so much for the feedback, so far.I really value all of your suggestions and will look into each one.
To help narrow the incoming feedback:
I am running a Mcintosh 6300 and MCD 201. Have not gotten into cables yet.
My experience (generally speaking):
Paradigm is too bright.
MOnitor Audio, Revel and Canton are dull.
B&W lack the mid range clarity.
I'm not found of the design of Sonus Faber although they sound pretty good.
Rainmaker is good but lacks fullness and may need sub.
Vienna Accoustics Haydn are the front runner, most likely with a Rel sub.
I'd go with Eminent Technology LFT-16 speakers (check out my garage system in my Virtual Systems), if for some reason you don't like the ET's my second choice would be Totem Model One's. Some folks like the ProAc's, they're worth a listen too.
You should seriously consider a used pair of Tyler Acoustics Taylor Reference Monitors with matching stands. I had a pair that replaced B&W CDM1NT speakers on Target welded steel stands. They absolutely killed the B&W's in every way and actually made them sound quite cheap. They will work quite well in small to medium sized rooms. They also fit your listening preferences.
Emphasizing the highs and lows over the mid-range is what I consider the classic British sound.