Brad Mehldau

I heard this guy for the first time in my car on the radio last week. I'm kicking myself because I had a chance to see him at the Montreal Jazz Fest last year. At first I thought it was some late 70's Herbie Hancock. They played his trio's version of the Beatle's, 'She's Leaving Home' and it was awesome. Can anyone who might like this jazz artist recommend some of his music? I'm very interested.
donjr
his 2010 release, HIGHWAY RIDER, is awfully good . . . 2 disc set, reunites him w/Largo producer Jon Brion . . . we lucked out about 8-10 yrs ago, seeing Brion and Largo (the club). after the main show, Brion announced a friend would be joining him for some improv stuff, and it was Mehldau. I barely knew the name at that point.
Truly one of the most astonishing musicians of this generation. I like his Radiohead covers...
My favorite Mehldau's album is HIGHWAY RIDER. I've listened to several albums of his, but this one is the most original and intriguing.
Sounds like great information. I pulled the trigger on 'Live at Marciac' right after I posted this thread and it arrived today. Unfortunately I'm on-call and busy so I might wait until Friday night to spin it. I'll be pursuing 'The Art of the Trio' releases soon.
I found him last year (he wasn't even lost)...now I have most of his stuff, and love it all. Isn't (or wasn't) he Carnegie Hall's "Artist in Residence?" In any case...great.
More to discover