Best budget CDP?

I'm putting together a small two channel system based around a pair of Zu Druids and small tube hybrid intgrated amp that I got as part of a HCT HMS-100 package (same as the Vuum Audio VTi-B1 or the Dared MP-5 without the USB port). Also considering upgrading to a Onix SP-3, but that's a differnt story.

I need to find a decent CDP that would be a nice match for this budget system. $1000 would be my max, but I would really like stay ~ $500 if possible, but not if I can't get a nice sounding unit at this price.

I'm also putting a small LCD or Plasma in this room so a nice univeral unit would be even better, but music performance in paramount. Another consideration which makes a univerval unit an attractive option is that I would still have a spare set of inputs to add a TT down the road if I decide to get back into LP's.

Thoughts/suggestions will be much appreciated.

BTW, I only have BB/CC in our town, so I really don't have the option to listen to much and this is why I must ask for help. Used is fine.

Thanks.
jack_dotson
Reubent, you get your modded Oppo installed yet. I'm tickled pink with my stock 980 and am seriously considering getting the mod's.

Please share your thoughts when you have time.
Jack,

I did get the EVS level 2 mod'd Oppo970. It is a really good sounding player! It is probably the most detailed, most resolving digital players I've ever heard. It also has really great bass definition and drive.

I would recommend it for anyone wanting a highly resolving source, but it could be too much of a good thing in an already analytical sounding system. I'm not saying its analytical sounding by itself, but is seems to be very accurate and highly resolving so it could possibly sound ruthless with poor recordings. But it really sings with good recordings.

Enjoy,

TIC
Depends on what you like but, the Rega Planet or Jupiter can be had for around 400-600 and if you want to step up you can grab a Raysonic CPP 128 for about 1000 (you won't be disappointed. The original playstation with RCA outs works also. You can find a decent Denon, Onkyo, Sony, or Pioneer CDP in your price range on Audiogon. You just may have to read reviews or do a little research to find which ones are good. If you want a good universal you can get a nice Marantz or Denon.