Battery Powered Preamps

I notice that the more expensive preamps get within a line, or in general, the more complexity and expense seems ot be applied to the power supply and regualtion; sometimes with the addition of a second box for the power supply.

I conclude power supply is important. If this is so, why not go the simpler route of battery power for pure DC? My Dodd Battery Pre works very well indeed (for context -I've owned CAT, Lamm, ARC, Joule, Placette Active, Atma-sphere (still own), Bent TAP). Am I missing something, or doesn't battery power just make the most sense for a preamp - off the grid and all that? Seem much simpler than most highend approaches, and much less expensive to implement.
pubul57
I use a Battery powered TRL custom pre-amp. It is a very low gain design which suits my system very well and the sound is amazing.
I have owned many high-end tube and SS designs.
I have not owned one but have heard one extensively and the Reflection Audio OLM -1 battery pwered preamp is fantastic.
So yes, I think when well implemented and synergisitc with other components this is a great way to go.
The Dodd uses (2) 6dj8s and as previously mentioned, it only uses 1/2 of each tube (when they get old you switch tubes and the other half of the tube is used). I thought this was a pretty nifty feature for getting double the life from expensive NOS tubes, but maybe part of the decision was based on the battery supplies limitations in terms of driving tubes - don't know. Maybe a well implemented battery power supply is expensive, but nothing like the $10,000K + traditional preamps with robust powersupplies, often requiring a second chassis.
The RWA Isabella is an amazing tube preamp and runs completely on SLA battery power. I own it, along with the Signature 30.2 and the off the grid experience using these SLA batteries has very clear advantages to my ears.

6moons just released the review of the RWA Isabella. IMHO this review is spot on!

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/redwine10/isabella.html

Now I am playing with tube rolling using Amperex 7308s. Wow they are very sweet!!!

-Jeff
The first battery powered preamp, the Mission 776, used two 12 volt lead-acid in series. Those type of batteries are still used in emergency lighting and are not expensive. Dynamics was not an issue. I only had to replace the batteries once in 6 years. Much of the cost is in a reliable, automatic charging system. On the other hand, the batteries in laptop computers can be very expensive to replace.

Tubes require high voltage which means many batteries, probably smaller, in series.
The only reasons that drove me into buying Dodd and then Isabella/isabellina preamp/dac were,
*my annoyance with filthy power
*lowering the floor noise
*overall sound quality - it simply sounds phenomenal
*innovative, yet simple approach - my kind of guys.

At the end it comes down to the most essential question:
- is the use of batteries beneficial to the overall sound quality and enjoyment?

.............you know what my answer is. How about you?

Mariusz

P.S

The money generated from the sells of all power cables and conditioners, paid for the Isabellina dac option. Totally worth it. Upgrade that I can actually hear and appreciate.

Cheers