Am I right for this forum?

I’ve been an Audiogon member for some years now; I remember (fondly) "millercarbon," for example, which will mean something to some of you. And I’ve been a lover of audio equipment since high school—so, for over 50 years (I graduated in 1973). And yet...more and more, I find myself alienated from this forum, even though I do still read it regularly.

I do have what I consider a very "high-fidelity" system. I’ve written a very long account of my "audio journey," complete with many photos, but not "published" it on this site. I’m also a member of our local audio club, which includes several very well-heeled members who have systems costing more than most homes (one of them owns equipment valued at nearly a million dollars, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg: his system is housed in a separate structure purpose-built for it that cost well over a million). I play cello and guitar; my wife plays piano, my daughter piano and violin. We play those instruments in the same room occupied by my main audio system, and so I can attest to the "fidelity" of that system’s reproduction.

And yet...my system cost me less than $3,000 in total. I don’t lust after any particular "upgrade," even though I read reviews and all the many accounts of improvements in "SQ" documented in this forum.

So...am I an "audiophile," or not? Do I belong here, or not?

I’m listening right now to a wonderful bit of Mozart. I also love Tool. And Christy Moore. And Eva Cassidy. And so many others. I agree with Nietzsche: without music, life would be a mistake. But am I an audiophile? Do I belong on this forum?

Any sympathy here? Anyone else feel alienated from the "audiophile community" despite loving the miracle of audio technology?

128x128snilf

it is very characteristic of trolling method too to use extreme comparison to disparage someone experience and stir a pot as you just did ...😁

By the way it is not the OP who use 100 bucks speakers , it is myself , i heavily modify them thanks to Helmholtz observations... And i am perfectly happy with the balanced natural results... I feel more wise and creative than buying a costlier pair of speakers as such and plugging them in the wall , is it a problem for your refined "taste" ?

No, they’re not extreme comparisons...

And i really do have/enjoy a 100 dollar speaker....Actually, it was more like 73 dollars on sale, the Sony SSCS5. It was quite pleasing and enjoyable on its own. At some point, i modded it with the GR kit and that sounded great too.

So, you’re not the only one. In other words, I already beat you on price with my 73 dollar speaker!!

In fact, i just bought another 100 dollar speaker...the last pair of this 100 dollar unknown Chifi miracle as soon as i read the Amazon reviews. As soon as it gets delivered, I am sure it will sink your speaker (when i upgrade the crossover)! 😏

My 30k TAD also does something good. My 15k Yamaha sounds good too...etc, etc

No biggie, whatever

"Do i belong?.....Do i not belong?" (facepalm)...

sniff:

I like your relatively inexpensive posted system, but am WAY jealous of you being so close to The Splash.

I also mourn the loss of The Clam Digger.

DeKay

Whether one is an audiophile or belongs here should be self determined. At present I'm vacillating on whether I consider myself an audiophile anymore. My system is truly finished and I'm not deluding myself on this. I've been through many systems over forty years in this, and I now finally have the sound I always dreamed about, and I'm too old to start over. The thing is my curiosity in regard to new equipment and all the tweaks has diminished to the point I rarely check out audio forums and audio publications. So, I have an audiophile system without the curiosity I previously had. Devoid the curiosity, I'm now doubting I'm an audiophile. My take is an audiophile is one who is part of the audiophile culture. Curiosity born of interest brings you into the audiophile culture, merely having an audiophile system doesn't mean your an audiophile.

To be fair, people with expensive systems are often a lot less useful here than the ones who have to use their brain and are on a limited budget to put together their rig. (Of course it’s not either or, there are a lot of smart people here with expensive systems, who understand the synergy)

In that sense, with my budget, I always get a fair share of practical advice from low budget hackers, geeks (who would not call themselves audiophiles) more so than from people who are obsessed with how much they spent. It’s annoying when someone says "give me speaker advice for a $1000" and the comments are pouring in for price no object, expensive speakers.

You belong if you want… or not.

As for MC ? Small sample juvenile… @danager who are you in real life ?…. my opinion…. it helps to be the SAME person.

Stop by, i can feed you anything but a $300 “ Hot Stamper “…..