A listening test of two power amps

Hello, 

It's my first post here. I've been using two power amp setups for my main stereo and I've been curious to see if I can really discern any acoustic difference between the two. One setup involves a bi-wired high-powered stereo power amp and the other uses a pair of identical lower-powered amps with which the speakers, a pair of Tannoy System 12 DMT II monitors, are vertically bi-amped.

I decided to devise a listening test involving a mono acoustic recording made with a valve-condenser mic positioned at my usual listening position. I've used a relatively simple method to ensure that the recordings are level-matched. I've chosen a mono recording method since my goal is, principally, to evaluate the "tone" of the two recordings. I've been inspired to do this test after reading W. A. James' eBook "High end audio on a budget". The aim of the listening test is to try and discern which power amp setup provides the most realistic rendering of acoustic instruments. I thought that a mono recording might help the listener concentrate on the tone. After listening, I think it does. It's less distracting, especially on piano, where stereo or other multi-mic recording setups tend to splay out the notes across the stereo field.

I made two recordings for the test and will place links below so that the audio can be downloaded. I won't at this point give the make and model of the power amps involved, but this is the method used:

Method

1. I created an audio file with white noise at -10dB RMS and put the file on a Logitech Media Server so that I could play it on my stereo using a Raspberry Pi 3 with Audio Injector Pro card and RCA interface (192kHz 24bit DAC).

2. I then put on an LP on a Pro-ject 1.2 and set the volume to my usual listening level on a Quad 34 preamp. Following this, I then played the white noise and used a decibel meter, positioned next to the mic, to measure the level. It measured 67.3 dB.

3. Still playing the noise, I set the record level on a portable Tascam digital recorder arbitrarily to somewhere above -15dB. The microphone used was a large diaphragm valve condenser mic. The Tascam was set to record at 192kHz 24bit.

4. I then recorded the first track of the LP on the Tascam.

5. After that, I wired up the other amp configuration. I played the white noise and adjusted the volume of the preamp such that the decibel meter again measured 67.3dB at the position of the mic. The volume control on the Quad 34 is stepped, so I was lucky it matched!

6. I then recorded the same track on the LP as before, leaving the Tascam record levels unchanged.

7. I tidied the two recordings in Ardour (trimming start and finish only) and exported each as a 192kHz 24bit Flac file. I did not adjust the gain on either recording.

8. I listened to the recordings on the computer with a pair of AKG K501 headphones and Focusrite Scarlett interface.

Results

At first, I could distinguish a marked difference between the two. But now, I'm uncertain of the first qualitative difference that I'd noticed but I have noticed other more subtle differences (for the moment anyway). And that's why I'm here!

It would be wonderful if some people here could listen to the recordings and say which recording produces the most realistic rendering of the three instruments therein, and why. The instruments being piano, drums and string bass.

I've given the two files nondescript names: e.flac and t.flac. If anyone needs a different format or for me to down-sample, please let me know.

Finally, here are the files:

https://escuta.org/webtmp/e.flac

https://escuta.org/webtmp/t.flac

Cheers,

128x128surdo

Listened to all nine as originally provided, and with a modification (more on that later).

In general across the 3 different versions of each I liked j the most, y second, and p the least. Differences are slight. I like the attack on j and y the best, and think that p tends to round the sound off more; both on the attack and the decay. Most differences showed up in the trio recordings where the lead guitar has a much more natural sound to me. The plucking of the strings and the resonance of them is better and more natural. Also most noticeable in the voice where her voice cracks in the beginning at ”and you know darn well”.

Had a hard time telling much difference in the piano samples except that once again I felt the p was more rounded. That is the only way I know how to describe it. Bass was also very hard to tell across all samples. You may need someone with better sense of piano and bass to hear the differences in those samples.

Here is the more later.

I loaded all the samples in an app that lets me analyze the waveform, and also see there that the j and y samples are very close to each other, and the p ends up being pretty close to 1 dB lower in both average RMS, max RMS, and peak amplitude. across all samples. Within that app I normalized all the samples. Used -3.0 dB peak for the voice and piano and -0.3 dB peak for the trio as that was the max peak in the originals.

I played both the normalized and originals thru 2 different playback apps and my observations hold across both the original and normalized thru both apps.

If you want the full analysis values from the originals and the normalized files, I will send them in a direct message. Let me know.

Just read your post about distortion on the j and y piano files. I think you may have something else going on. Looking at the wave form of the j and p files, there is almost no ripple in the quiet parts on either file. Certainly not enough to be audible. (Wish I could record something from lp to digital with that low a signal, but maybe your source was not lp). I pushed those files (j and p) to the -0.3db normalization and again see almost no ripple in the quiet parts and very little difference between the files.

Were listening to these files through the speakers or headphones? Possible you were hearing issues with the headphones and possibly being overdriven?

"I played both the normalized and originals thru 2 different playback apps and my observations hold across both the original and normalized thru both apps. If you want the full analysis values from the originals and the normalized files, I will send them in a direct message. Let me know."

Thanks a lot budjoe. I really appreciate your comments. Yes, please send the analysis. I’m interested to see exactly what you’re looking at.

"Were listening to these files through the speakers or headphones? Possible you were hearing issues with the headphones and possibly being overdriven?"

I don’t think the phones were overdriven. I hear this sound through the speakers and on headphones (AKG K501 and K246). What I don’t hear on the speakers is the 60Hz buzz. This I only hear when "tapping" the speaker output of the amp and listening on headphones, either directly or on a recording. Although that doesn’t necessarily mean that the sound is not there - there’s a bit of other noise here always.

The more I listen to the sound, the more it sounds like a type of ring-modulation of the piano and I wonder if some sort of cross-modulation is occurring. If this is actually the case, there would be additional side bands appearing in the analysis and not necessarily a distortion.

Listening now to the 3 piano files on phones and at the same volume, p-piano.flac does not have this ring-modulation sound in the first half of the recording, but y and j certainly do.

The original recording is of tracks 8 and 9 ("Var. V. Lento" and "Var. VI Poco movendo") of Alessandro Simonetto’s album "Erik Satie: Works for Piano". I streamed them into a DAW from Qobuz and used this recording for the three amp tests.

budjoe, I normalised the peak of the j-piano and p-piano recordings to -0.3dB (which is what you did?). The above is Ardour’s spectrum analysis of the 1st note of the two recordings. The j-piano recording seems to have a lot more noise. The p-piano part seems to have stronger high frequency transients between 1 and 5kHz.

Also, just above the 1st orange band above 100Hz, there’s what seems like a pulsing partial that’s not present in the p recording. This was evident before normalising both recordings and in which there was less apparent noise but still very weak upper partials (between 1 and 5kHz) in the j recording.

In the samples I sent to you, the waveforms were normalized to -3.0 dB, then the zoomed portion was normalized to -0.3 dB.

In the zoomed section, the noise on the quiet part of the j-piano-zoom was very similar on both the left and right channel. Some high frequency noise, but very low level. In the p-piano-zoom, the left channel (top) has almost no high frequency noise, but the right channel has the most noise of all the waveforms. That is what leads me to believe there is something else going on.

Connections, grounding, or impedance, or some problem in one of the amps. I can’t say from here. I think you should explore some tests with the minimum number of components in each chain. Try with all components in the same power circuit. If any component used has only a 2 conductor power cord, try turning that cable over to see if it changes the waveform and/or the sound. Swap left and right channel interconnects one at a time and see if the noise moves from one channel to the other. Swap the speaker wires from left to right again to see if the noise moves from one channel to the other.

From what you are hearing, and the wave forms; i don’t think you need to have any input to chase the issue. I would use headphones at the amplifier headphone jack (if there is one) and with just the minimal signal path connected and no audio playing turn up the volume and listen just for the noise and try to swap interconnects and speaker cables to look for any changes. You can add in your recording set up to see if the noise you are hearing shows up in the waveforms. That’s how I chase noise.

@surdo "The Sunfire’s speaker outputs produce a low level, but audible on headphones, 60Hz hum (or a harmonic of 60Hz). The Quad, while perhaps more noisy (with hiss) has no 60Hz tone. I tested both the Sunfire’s unbalanced inputs with the Quad 34 preamp and the balanced inputs with the sound coming from a mixing desk. Both produce the hum and the amp produces a hum even with no inputs connected and with the laptop, that’s monitoring the terminals, running on batteries. I’ve tried disconnecting the Sunfire’s earth and reversing the pins, but the hum is unchanged.”

Just went back and read this part again. I don’t see much 60Hz on any of the waveforms, but as I said, there is 120Hz on all of them. Using just the Quad 34 preamp and connected to the 2 amps and no input look for the noise. I am also not clear if your tests were done with 2 different sets of speakers and speaker cables, but to compare the amps, it should be done with the same speakers and speaker cables from either amp. If that is not the case, the speakers and cables cannot be separated from what the amps are doing.