2 channel preamp for music only system

Hello everyone,

I’ve been reading posts and responses and have been in awe at the quality and detail of responses. 
Recently I decided to repurpose my Adcom GFA 555 as part of a 2 channel music system using my HT receiver zone 2 as the preamp. The normal pre outs would require that I go into setup each time.  I quickly determined that I would be better off by adding a dedicated preamp to the system. 
When using zone 2 with the Adcom, I have no volume control, yet it doesn’t seem very loud. 
I guess my question is, with a preamp, could I expect more volume?  I’m streaming using a blusound node 2. Seems like a 200 watt per channel should play louder. 
For example, my HT speakers are Focals with a similar spl to the JBL’s, but play significantly louder than the JBL’s yet the amp is of a lower power.

2 channel system current configuration…

Pioneer Elite SC. LX 901 (using zone 2 as preamp)

Blusound Node 2i (streamer)

Adcom GFA 555 (power amp)

JBL L100 Century speakers

I’m thinking of adding either a Parasound or Adcom preamp (budget under $1k) but would love to hear suggestions from you or ways to make the Pioneer act as the preamp without having to change settings (turn off home theater speakers, change subwoofer volumes, etc.)  

thank you!

bobbergman

@bobbergman

It’s not your amp!  Go into the BluOS app, under audio, and turn on the volume to Output level fixed and everything will be right.

All the best.

JD

Maybe OP can try this setup:

Connect the Node 2i analog output to the Adcom GFA 555 and use the Node 2i volume control for 2 channel playback, connect Node 2i optical toslink output to Pioneer ( to eliminate possible ground loop noise ) and utilize the Pioneer internal DAC for HT receiver playback.

@bobbergman    A pre under $1K,  how about under 500.   Ive got an Arcam C31 for sale right here on the Gon,   Just in case you may be interested.  Made in the UK and back when Arcam was more involved in producing 2 channel separates.   even has a phono stage.   I have the same pre in my bedroom system and its used daily often left on overbite at a very low volume.  

good luck in your search

Thought I’d post the conclusion to my initial post. I ended up finding a good deal on a Parasound New Classic 200. It has several features that should work well for me. 

it sounds better than just usinh the Node 2i directly into the Adcom.