Review: Dakiom R203 Tweak

Category: Accessories

After having wonderful success with the MA203 product on my Rogue Audio M150monoblockamps, (review link can be found at http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=tweaks&n=133906&highlight=dakiom+review&r=&session=), I wondered if Dakiom’s R203 feedback stabilizer could help my Audio Experience Concerto + phono preamp that employs feedback in the design. The marketing data does not mention phono preamps specifically, however, all other source components are so I assumed that it could be used for this purpose. I am not a Science or Engineering graduate but I am impressed that in the midst of an industry that sells $1000 power cords without any scientific proof of difference, Dakiom holds U.S. Patents on their circuits.

I followed Mr. Dao’s listening test instructions by hooking the R203s up and listening for 30 minutes, then taking them out of the system to hear any differences. I chose to play vinyl, rather than cds, so that I wouldn’t get fooled into thinking that a perhaps softening of the cd sound was good.

As I always do for consistency, I began by listening to the German reissue of Cat Steven’s Tea For The Tillerman LP. I know this album very well. The first track on side 1 is “Where Do The Children Play?” and as it began to play the music seemed very different to me – more natural and organic yet softer and less aggressive. I reached for the remote and turned the volume up until it seemed right. Something was very different in the presentation and as time wore on I was able to identify it. What I had thought was less aggression was, in fact, less grain and distortion. This is why I felt the need to increase the volume. Dimensionality and sound staging did not change perceptibly although I was able to identify different instruments easily in the songs. Like I found with the MA 203 there was an increase in the coherence and refinement to the music with a very neutral presentation. It was just plan easier for me to focus on the music and enjoy it’s flow.

I felt that the force of the music was being held back ever so slightly which led me to believe that a break-in period was necessary. I continued to listen to music, on LP, for about 2 hours per day over a 2 week period with the R203 in place. One night after listening to “So Far Away” from Dire Straits I removed the R203 and played the track again. I was amazed that small details were now missing. I couldn’t clearly hear the background vocals and the bass and Knoffler’s guitar were no longer separated by space. The snare drum crack came too far into the room. I reconnected the R203 and immediately heard the extra detail and was now aware that the music was just as dynamic and wasn’t being held back at all while sounding more coherent and together rather than an electronic reproduction. Had my ears played tricks on me or was a break-in time necessary? I am not sure, although most copper wire does need breaking in so it seems logical to me that so should the leads on this device.

Is the R203 worth $109? Well Audio Experience has brought out a zero feedback version of my phono preamp and has increased the price from $700 to $1200, a $500 difference. The “taming” of the feedback provided by the R203 is good enough that I don’t feel the necessity to sell my unit, at a substantial loss, and buy the new one. When I consider how this device improves my overall enjoyment of music it is a bargain in the same way that the $120 Blue Circle BC86 Noisehound is. With the money back guarantee, I think everyone with electronics that employ negative feedback owe it to themselves to try it. Happy listening.

Associated gear
Audio Experience Concerto + phono preamp with Telefunken tubes, Consonance Droplet CDP, Sonic Frontiers Line 3+ preamp with Valvo tubes, Rogue Audio M150 monoblock amps, Quad 988 speakers, Mirage BPS400 sub
bazza
"I felt that the force of the music was being held back ever so slightly which led me to believe that a break-in period was necessary. I continued to listen to music, on LP, for about 2 hours per day over a 2 week period with the R203 in place. One night after listening to “So Far Away” from Dire Straits I removed the R203 and played the track again. I was amazed that small details were now missing. I couldn’t clearly hear the background vocals and the bass and Knoffler’s guitar were no longer separated by space. The snare drum crack came too far into the room. I reconnected the R203 and immediately heard the extra detail and was now aware that the music was just as dynamic and wasn’t being held back at all while sounding more coherent and together rather than an electronic reproduction. Had my ears played tricks on me or was a break-in time necessary? I am not sure, although most copper wire does need breaking in so it seems logical to me that so should the leads on this device."
-Bazza

I agree with your point, i.e. I believe that they DO show an improvement after their "break-in" period. I stated that a while back in the thread post shown below, but you are the first person to corroborate this observation. Thanks! Here's the response that I posted to a thread:
"07-10-05: Mdhoover
Flrnlamb:
I have reviewed the Dakiom feedback stabilizers. They worked quite well for me with the original B&K ST 140 amp, and also helped with the Odyssey Stratos Extreme Monoblocks. At FIRST, when used with the Odyssey Extreme Monos, they seemed to truncate upper end detail ever so slightly, but still improved the overall sound, including the bass, so I kept them on. LATER, after several weeks or so, when I retested them again (with and without), they did NOT seem to truncate upper end detail, and just made the music sound sweeter, and overall better. Not sure why that happened but it was undeniable to me and my instrument-playing wife. The folks at Dakiom seem to think that "burn-in" is a psychoacoustic phenomenon but that runs contrary to my experience with their product. Also, the boxes still helped the Odyssey Monoblocks, even though those amps use "very little" negative feedback, according to Klaus Bunge, when I spoke to him on the phone."
-Mdhoover