DAC Choices today?

I'm looking to upgrade from my EAR ACute III to a new DAC. Currently trying out the impressive Aesthetix Romulus which offers a bigger richer sound with lots of detail. How does this DAC stack up against the competition for those who are familiar with it? Any impressions or advice are welcome.
frontier1
Hei Chris, you should pour over the leading thread on DACs..... Lots of experiences and careful comparisons....

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1398132150&openmine&zzGuidocorona&4&5#Guidocorona

It will be a long read, but definitely worth it.

Saluti, Guido
Guido,

Have you heard the Bricasti M1? If so, please share your impressions.
Unfortunately no... No Bricasti audition at my end... On the other hand, I am very happy with my Rowland Aeris, and feel no particular urge to "upgrade" my DAC. Saluti, Guido

Guido
Frontier1,  

Did you end up replacing the EAR Acute 3?  I also have this but wondered how the current DACs stack up to the EAR?  The EAR 4 is really pricey, so not sure what to do.  I really love the EAR tube sound though and don't want to go to high resolution digital at the expense of that analog-vinyl type sound of the EAR.  But it is a bit old for a digital source component.  Any updates?
I have been very happy with the PS Audio DirectStream DAC I purchased about 18 months ago.  It sounds great and the firmware updates PS Audio provides has improved the sonic performance.

I'm looking to upgrade from my EAR ACute III to a new DAC. Currently trying out the impressive Aesthetix Romulus which offers a bigger richer sound with lots of detail. How does this DAC stack up against the competition for those who are familiar with it? Any impressions or advice are welcome.
if i may ask - why do you want to update/upgrade your DAC? what's wrong with it?