Speakers in the 1000 dollar range....

I am a newbie to the world of high end audio equipment however, I do listen to a lot of music and I do know what sounds good.

Any recommendations for speakers ? I guess I'm looking for something in the &1000 range that would be a good match for the Unision Unico which I purchased recently? I listen mostly to classical music and good realistic sound stage, transparency and accurate uncolored sound is important. I'd like nice tight bass...not overly heavy, mushy. And of course a solid mid-range and clear, effortless , non-strident highs are important too.

In my opinion voice, piano and violins are the hardest to reproduce realistically.

I am looking for speakers that go on stands since I live in an apartment building. Probably 12" wide by say +/- 18" in height for size.

Is this too much to ask in a speaker?

Thanks.
jeffny
I haven't heard the very pricey monitors, but I love my Joseph Audio RM7 si. Stereophile's speaker of the year 2002. In your price range. Currently there are four for sale on the 'gon which is very unusaul. These were so hard to find used when I got mine used 5 yrs ago. Still loving 'em. They should be a good match for your Unision Unico.
ATC SCM20 Passive - look for a second hand older model pair (pre SL are cheaper) - be patient.

Based on your requirement;

voice, piano and violins

and

....good realistic sound stage, transparency and accurate uncolored sound is important. I'd like nice tight bass...not overly heavy, mushy. And of course a solid mid-range and clear, effortless , non-strident highs are important too.

....basically you have described the ATC SCM20 to a tee

120 Watts should be plenty to drive them in an appartment. Telarc use them.
I doubt you are going to find stand mount speakers in that price range that will give you everything the new DCM Time Window will for less then $1000 brand new, as I and others have posted here and there these speakers were one of the best surprises at the Audio show's and can really make one curious as why some speakers cost as much as they do. These speakers will likely take up less actual space then a stand mount monitor will and you wont need to purchase or integrate a subwoofer for good bass.
There are a pair of Celestion sl700s for sale for 1000.00. They are worth considering.
call the may audio company (mayaudio.com) and get a pair of castle harlechs. you could do far worse, even if you dropped 5 times as much. A classic british floorstander which does it all, and an heirloom quality cabinet to boot.
as noted above, you may want to consider slender floorstanders as monitors basically take up the same amnt of floorspace. plus they tend to be more stable and may offer deeper bass extension. just a thought. lotsa choices out there, listen to as many as you can. as a 'newbie' you might use the opportunity to distinguish first hand the differences in musical presentation between the various designs. ported, planar, sealed, transmission line, horns etc. classical music is demading and desrves a good spkr.
What new DCM Time Window? I checked their website and see no mention of a new Time Window. Details please...
You should probably audition some Dali speakers. I have the Ikon 6's, which I bought as demos for about $1200; the Ikon 5's might be had in your price range. I listen to mostly classical (all genres) and when I was auditioning speakers, there was nothing remotely as good as the Dali's in terms of neutrality, transparancy, and soundstage (provided, of course, that your electronics are good enough - I don't know your amp at all). Dali makes a wide variety of speakers at various price points, but judging from what I've read, they tend to have a similar sonic character.