"Used"Revel F-30 or AP's Virgo II: Better Value?

Want opinions on what is the better value in used speakers.Audio Physic's Virgo II's or Revel 30's. The Virgo's when "current" were about $4495; Revel F-30's are $3500 at retail. Both can be had on the "used" market for between $2200-$2700. Need opinions about "overall"(especially, bass response, imaging) performance and "potential" of both speakers. By "potential", I mean ability to keep sounding better with reasonable upgrades. Thank you, SJ
sunnyjim
FOLLOW-UP REQUESTED BY THE 'GON regarding my equipment. I have an Aragon 4004Mk2 amp; Conrad Johnson PV-8, pre-amp(modified twice for lower noise floor) Sonographe SC-1 CD player. VPIJr. T/T with Audioquest and Sumiko Blue Point special moving coil. I have no speaker wire to date after sellling my previous speakers. All pieces are respectable hi-end, but also 12 years old. After deciding on speakers, I will probably upgrade to a Bel-Canto Evo200.2,and shortly thereafter a new CD player. I anticipate using Analysis Oval 9 for speaker cable. Though, I have heard some very good things about Zen Acoustics,"Satori" cable which also seems overpriced. Room size is 15X18 with a 13 ft ceiling; the room is more round than rectangular and opens into a dining area. My goal is to create a holographic soundstage that is both accurate and musically involving without spending $15,000. Thank you, SJ
FOLLOW-UP REQUESTED BY THE 'GON regarding my equipment. I have an Aragon 4004Mk2 amp; Conrad Johnson PV-8, pre-amp(modified twice for lower noise floor) Sonographe SC-1 CD player. VPIJr. T/T with Audioquest and Sumiko Blue Point special moving coil. I have no speaker wire to date after sellling my previous speakers. All pieces are respectable hi-end, but also 12 years old. After deciding on speakers, I will probably upgrade to a Bel-Canto Evo200.2,and shortly thereafter a new CD player. I anticipate using Analysis Oval 9 for speaker cable. Though, I have heard some very good things about Zen Acoustics,"Satori" cable which also seems overpriced. Room size is 15X18 with a 13 ft ceiling; the room is more round than rectangular and opens into a dining area. My goal is to create a holographic soundstage that is both accurate and musically involving without spending $15,000. Thank you, SJ
I wouldn"t be worrying witch speaker is the better value but rather witch speaker if either of these two move you. Have you listened to either of them? Let that be your guide and not value or what someone else thinks.
I heartily agree with Lokil.
You'll have your hands VERY full maneuvering these full-range guys around to try to smooth out large bottom-end non-linearities in your "too-cubic" room.
Start with a nearfield setup in a tight triangle to keep those woofers away from the corners.
You MAY have to go to 2-ways with or without a sub to get a flat in-room response.
I DO really like the F30, especially used under $2500.
Far nicer in a small-medium room than Nautilus 804/803, for example. I had to get Parsifals to do considerably better!
Have fun, and be sure to dampen the hell out of that room!
The Virgos are wonderful and much more coherent than the Revel's. I feel like their bass response will much better suit your size room as the f30's already have a tendancy to boom and have trouble integrating the bass with the othe drivers and plus their ugly....
Chel...
You're probably right about the Revel's abundant bass being tougher to tame, esp in a bad room. But your comment about their ugliness gave me a smile: I was about to buy them when my wife gave me the nix: "too California cartoonish!"
So I had to pony up for demure-looking Parsifal Encores for nearly 3 times as much! The Revel's VERY coherent from the mids on up, though. VERY tightly engineered, too....
OOOhh but the Parsifals are so nice, you really made out. I need to start bringing some ugly stuff home and see if I can end up with Parsifals too.
please go for VirgoII!! but listen them for yourself.
I listen to Revel in an audio store with ML top gears and never impress me. Revel do sound like "hi fi" but never touch me. Virgo is so music and natural. listen before buying them. Virgo wont let you down.

Tim